Supervisor, Evaluation Faculty, Nursing Foundations
***Open to current WGU employees ONLY***
The principal mission of Western Governors University is to improve quality and expand access to post-secondary educational opportunities by providing a means for individuals to learn independent of time and place and to earn competency-based degrees and other credentials that are credible to both academic institutions and employers.
EVALUATION DEPARTMENT MISSION
In supporting the university mission, the mission of the Evaluation Department is to deliver student-centric assessment solutions and services that:
- Enhance the credibility of the WGU degree through secure, valid and reliable determination of competency.
- Expand accessibility to higher education through innovation and fierce stewardship of students’ tuition.
- Support and accelerate each student’s journey to competency.
Simply stated, the Evaluation Department commits to be accurate, fair, helpful and quick, while making WGU a great place to work for our colleagues and ourselves.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Coordinate efforts to complete all scoring in assigned area(s) accurately and consistent with our service level agreement.
- Guide and monitor evaluator feedback to ensure that all scoring events include helpful feedback for students.
- Implement, monitor, and document regular training and activities as outlined by the Evaluation Department.
- Collaborate with the Evaluation Staffing Team to implement vetting process for hiring new positions.
- Formally review evaluator performance against established metrics for accuracy, consistency, proficiency, and inter-rater reliability.
- Formally train, onboard, and supervise all direct reports.
- Monitor hours worked by evaluators. Ensure that team members are working the optimum hours allowed in support of both student success and work/family balance.
- Approve overtime for evaluators when the submission level in Taskstream is elevated.
- Assist with scoring efforts when needed.
- Identify and implement best practices.
- Ensure fair and accurate scoring through inter-rater agreement exercises, team calibration, and close collaboration with the evaluation leadership team.
- Participate in college specific and department projects designed to improve student success.
- Abide by policies and procedures to maintain compliance with FERPA regulations.
- Abide by policies established by the WGU Human Resources department.
- Notify direct manager of planned absences ahead of time. Two-week notice is expected for extended time away (longer than 48 hours) so that adequate coverage can be arranged.
- Travel required.
- Satisfactorily perform other duties as assigned.
- Subject matter expertise and appropriate advanced degree(s) relevant to evaluation content area
- Work experience relevant to evaluation content area, strongly preferred
- Expert level understanding of WGU evaluation processes
- Exceptional insight, understanding, acceptance and adherence to the tenets of competency-based education and the split faculty model
- Advanced strength in written and oral communication
- Demonstrated ability to discern evidence of competency within student submissions, including unexpected forms of response
- Demonstrated ability to use technology, adapt quickly to new processes and manage complex cognitive loads
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues to ensure validity and reliability of evaluation across multiple raters, including deferring to the guidance of the team, course lead or manager.
- Demonstrated ability to gain consensus with team members, program development, course leads and course mentors to define competency levels in assessments relevant to areas of expertise
- Demonstrated ability to properly identify and refer student submissions for escalated care including but not limited to professional communication (i.e., articulation), originality, excellence awards, support in opening student submissions, content assistance, technology support.
- Fluent with performance-based measurement practices and procedures.
- Master’s Degree required in a field related to nursing, doctorate preferred
- Prior Management or leadership experience required
- Three years of work experience in a field related to nursing
- Six months of WGU performance evaluation experience is preferred
- Active and unrestricted RN license
WORK FROM HOME, United States