William & Mary invites qualified applicants to apply for the Custodial Supervisor position. The ideal candidate has experience in commercial cleaning practices with demonstrated custodial supervisory experience. The candidate also will possess strong leadership skills, with a strong customer service orientation.
The Custodial Supervisor oversees the daily work activities of custodial workers and building support workers. Ensure a clean, safe, healthy environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors. Coaches, mentor and manages performance. Resolves problems and issues as they arise.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Building Services, the Custodial Supervisor fosters and promotes teamwork, professional development and customer service.
Core responsibilities also include (but not limited to):
- Plan, coordinate, schedule, assign, inspect, and oversee custodial operations inside and outside academic, auxiliary, athletic, administrative and/or residential facilities.
- Respond promptly to tenant needs and requests. Resolve problems quickly and effectively.
- Responsible for the orderliness and cleanliness of assigned housekeeping closets and equipment storage areas.
- Ensure proper mixing, labeling, storing and use of a variety of chemicals and cleaning agents.
- Demonstrate, verify and ensure proper use and maintenance of equipment. Inspect equipment.
- Perform preventive maintenance; determine repair/replacement needs and initiate action. Schedule repairs and/or recommend equipment purchases.
- Maintain on-site records. Protect confidentiality of communications and records.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Knowledge of commercial cleaning practices, including floor and carpet care, cleaning products and equipment. Ability to work with and properly use or learn to use cleaning chemicals and agents, including dilution and dispensing systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of conflict resolution, evaluating performance and managing the work of others.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Demonstrated ability to read, write, speak and understand English to effectively communicate and understand others, and to follow oral and written instructions.
- Basic proficiency in computer applications (MS Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time; lift and carry objects up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to tolerate frequent bending, stooping, and climbing stairs.
- Ability to work outdoors in temperatures below 32 degrees and above 90 degrees.
- Demonstrated custodial experience, to include training and overseeing the work of others.
- Knowledge of sound supervisory principles and practices.
- Proficiency in MS Office and with web-based applications is desirable.
- Experience working as a Custodial supervisor highly preferred.
- Experience in performance management, goal setting and mentoring of staff is highly desirable.
The College of William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.