This is a paid one-year position with the possibility of renewal for a second year, contingent upon favorable evaluations. This position is an excellent stepping-stone for a student who has recently completed their undergraduate studies or is about to graduate, and who is interested in pursuing an MFA in studio art but wants a couple of additional years to develop a stronger portfolio and gain experience. The close mentoring provided in this position, as well as the access to equipment and resources of the wider University will enable a motivated person to become a highly desirable candidate for graduate study. The Art Assistant hired for this position will have 24/7 access to the printmaking studio to work on their own projects when not involved in Art Assistant duties.
This is a part-time, approximately 20 hours per week position beginning in mid-August and ending in early May. Occasional work above the typical 20 hours per week may be required at the request of the supervisor.
As a role model in the classroom, the Art Assistant must exhibit a high level of professionalism, be punctual, and respond promptly to emails and other inquiries.
• Assist the printmaking professor with class activities and the day-to-day operations of the printmaking studio.
• Oversee safe student use of equipment in the printmaking studio during classes and on nights and weekends.
• Ensure the safe use of the presses, acids, solvents, shears, and other equipment.
• Provide students with extensive instruction on how to use the equipment, acids, solvents, etc. safely and efficiently.
• Demonstrate technical processes including mixing ink and use of tools and presses when asked by the professor.
• Mix and change etch solutions for zinc and copper plates.
• Perform work in the maintenance, inventory, and procurement of equipment and supplies.
• Regularly clean, oil, and maintain printing presses using the press lubrication guide.
• Maintain an inventory of all inks, solvents, paper, and other required materials.
• Prepare materials for hazardous waste pickup.
• Repair and maintain tools as needed.
• Keep an inventory of supplies; order and purchase supplies as needed.
• Coordinate with facilities staff about maintenance issues that need to be addressed in the printmaking and design studios.
• Keep the printmaking studio clean and well ordered.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
• Bachelor's degree in Studio Art
• Familiarity with a range of printmaking-related equipment and media, and an understanding of equipment and material safety
• Must be dependable, have strong work ethic, and good communication skills
We seek a candidate whose experience and expertise will contribute to Bucknell's commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
• Well versed in intaglio, lithography, relief, silkscreen and digital printing
1. Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 25 pounds.
2. Ability to move equipment around.
3. Use proper safety equipment for head, eyes, hands and body protection.
4. Exposure to printmaking solvents, acids, etc.
Bucknell University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities.
Bucknell University is a private, highly selective, unique national University where liberal arts and strong professional programs in engineering, business, education and music complement each other. We seek candidates who are committed to Bucknell's efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we welcome applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Bucknell is a NCAA Division I (FCS) and Patriot League member institution that sponsors 27 varsity athletics programs. Located in Central Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River, Bucknell is nestled in the Borough of Lewisburg, an architectural gem that has been ranked as one of America's best small towns. The Lewisburg area offers a unique combination of outdoor recreation opportunities, and appealing amenities such as art galleries, an art deco theater, historic museums, and charming independent boutiques and restaurants. In addition to the many cultural and athletic events offered by the University and the Borough, the surrounding region offers outstanding schools, medical facilities, and an affordable cost of living. For those who crave the city, Bucknell is within an easy three-hour drive to Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C.