SUNY Sullivan is seeking to fill the position of Counselor in the Center for Learning and Student Development. The incumbent will report to the Director of Learning and Student Development Services and will be responsible for providing personal, social, academic skill and career counseling, as well as crisis intervention, including but not limited to alcohol/drug use, sexual assault, depression, suicide and other mental health issues. Standard work hours are assigned by the Director of Learning and Student Development Services and are typically seven hour days, Monday through Friday, however hours may be adjusted as needed to meet programming schedule requirements and occasionally includes evening and weekend work.
SUNY Sullivan is a principal employer in the Catskill region that seeks to invest in its employees by insuring a well-rounded work/life balance for its employees. Employee benefits, sometimes called fringe benefits, are indirect forms of compensation provided to our employees as part of furthering the employment relationship. We do more than offer a “fair day's pay.” In addition to a comprehensive salary, generous insurance benefit programs and broad benefit time policies are available.
As a benefit of being a union member of the Professional Staff Associate, the incumbent will be granted annually 14 sick days, 5 personal days and 25 days of vacation. In addition to statutory considerations, the incumbent will also be eligible to participate in:
- Cost efficient health insurance plan – NYSHIP Empire PPO
- Health Insurance Buyback if the incumbent has other health insurance coverage,
- Retirement options with NYS defined benefit entities and/or Optional Retirement Plans,
- Supplemental retirement annuities,
- College-sponsored life and accidental death insurance equivalent to the employee’s annual salary,
- Delta Dental insurance,
- Guardian Vision insurance,
- College-sponsored Long-term disability coverage,
- Optional short-term disability, cancer or accident insurances,
- Tuition reimbursement,
- Section 125 Cafeteria Plan - flexible spending for medical and dependent care and
- Access to credit unions.
- Position requires a Master’s Degree in Mental Health Counseling, Social Work, Clinical or Counseling Psychology
- Three (3) years experience in college counseling, community college experience preferred
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide personal, social, academic skill and career counseling, as well as crisis intervention, including but not limited to alcohol/drug use, sexual assault, depression, suicide and other mental health issues.
- Serve as a member of the Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) which at times requires case management as recommended by the team
- Provide academic advising
- Participate in registration and orientation activities
- Participate in training Resident Assistants (RA’s) as requested
- Provide outreach to students in form of pamphlets and informational messages, as well as coordinate group counseling sessions for identified common needs of students.
- Facilitate faculty and staff understanding of mental health issues, including depression and suicide, and how they can positively deal with students on campus and in class with such challenges, within privacy guidelines.
- Work with other campus programs/offices to arrange on-campus psycho-educational programming with outside agencies.
- Act as a liaison to community mental health sources for consultation, referral and campus resource enhancement.
- Serve as a retention counselor in dealing with potential student withdrawals.
- Prepare reports and maintain relevant documentation according to HIPAA and FERPA guidelines.
- All members of the Learning Center team perform the following:
- Make tutoring appointments. Administer and interpret placement and testing results.
- Provide information to students, faculty, parents and guidance counselors about the array of services offered by the Center for Student Learning and Development Services and academic departments.
The hiring range for this position is $50,255 to $53,348. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, however, review of resumes is scheduled to begin April 16, 2018. Please forward your cover letter, resume and the names, addresses and phone numbers of three (3) professional references. Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this this employment opportunity.
Office of Human Resources
For more information, please visit our website at:
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity College
Apply for Counselor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly