Butte-Glenn Community College
Closing Date/Time: 4/30/2018 4:00 PM Pacific
Salary: Not Displayed
Location: Butte College Cosmetology and Barbering Center, CA
Department: Office of Instruction
Full-time 40 hours per week; 12 months per year (2 positions)
Tuesday-Saturday, 8 hours per day (schedule to be determined)
CSEA - Range 17; $2,913.78 per month
Part-time 20 hours per week; 12 months per year (2 positions)
Tuesday-Saturday, 4 hours per day (schedule to be determined)
CSEA - Range 17; $1,456.89 per month
Some highlights and details associated with this position:
- These Instructional Aide positions will be providing support to Instructors in the Cosmetology program, which incorporates hair, nails and skin.
- Positions will be located at the Butte College Cosmetology and Barbering Center, Almond Orchard, Chico.
For 50 years, we have successfully provided a quality educational experience to our students, offering associates degrees and training in career fields including business, medical, law enforcement, welding, automotive, computers, and more.
The ideal candidate will share Butte College's commitment to our mission and values, especially our commitment to educating our racially and socio-economically diverse student population. We currently enroll around 16,000 students annually, many of whom are from racially minoritized populations. 59% of Butte College students are white, 27% are Latinx, 6% are Asian, 3% are African American, 2% are Native American, and 4% are multi-ethnic. As an emerging Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), Butte College understands that it has a great responsibility to the educational attainment and economic well-being of our surrounding communities.
The successful candidate will join a campus community that demonstrates its commitment to student equity by supporting ongoing professional development for students, faculty and staff. These opportunities include a Cultural Awareness Community of Practice, FAIR Classrooms, active Diversity and Student Equity Committees, support for our undocumented and AB 540 students (Download PDF reader), a robust set of culturally responsive programs and events, and conferences related to equity-mindedness and supporting the success of our diverse students.
Under direction of an administrator, assists instructors in the various instructional support tasks, as requested by an individual instructor or supervisor, including preparing teaching materials, maintaining records, assisting students in multi-level individualized programs, grading tests, maintaining facilities and equipment, etc. Performs related work as required.
- Prepare lab related materials and supplies.
- Responsible for tracking and ordering product and student materials.
- Provide client and community service.
- Ability to maintain a safe and sanitary environment.
The duties recorded below are representative of the duties of the class and are not intended to cover all the duties performed by incumbent(s) of any particular position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the scope of work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class. The essential duties of the class are indicated with an asterisk *.
- Assists with the preparation of class materials, including but not limited to assignment sheets, course outlines, letter of recommendation, syllabi, teaching tapes, classroom folders, test papers, test keys, etc*
- Provides direct assistance to instructors and new, continuing or prospective students*
- Tutors and provides orientations to individual students; observes students' work habits and makes necessary suggestions; demonstrates proper techniques to improve students' progress; encourages students as necessary*
- Monitors tests; reviews, proofreads, grades and records students' daily assignments, lab hours and test papers*
- Maintains program and student records and attendance sheets with accuracy and confidentiality*
- Performs computer data entry to record and retrieve department information and to prepare documents*
- Performs general clerical duties as necessary, including but not limited to typing, copying, collating, filing class materials; records test grades and other documents; answers telephone, etc*
- Maintains clean and orderly classroom; prepares bulletin boards*
- May serve on a variety of District committees as requested
- May perform other duties as assigned
- Graduation from high school, G.E.D. or the equivalent*; AND
- One (1) year of experience closely related to the duties and responsibilities of this class.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity and sexual orientation and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
- Possession of a current CA Board of Barbering and Cosmetology license.
- Experience working in a salon.
May be acquired through education, training and/or experience.
Knowledge of: District policies and procedures; modern office practices and equipment, including electronic typewriters, computers, copiers and classroom procedures; providing assistance and direction accurately.
Ability to: prepare and maintain class and student records with accuracy, completeness and confidentiality; demonstrate department to which assigned applications and/or other skills to students; recognize special instructional needs of students and provide effective student tutoring; learn and interpret rules, regulations, policies and procedures of the District and those affecting the department to which assigned; follow oral and written instructions; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted during the course of work; operate a computer to perform position functions; utilize keyboarding skills commensurate with the required functions for this position; demonstrate clear evidence of sensitivity to, and the understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students; read and write at the level necessary for successful job performance; work as a team member; and the ability to make necessary mathematic calculations accurately and rapidly.
WORK DIRECTION, LEAD AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
No assigned permanent staff to supervise. Provides instruction and guidance to students and/or student employees.
Occasional light lifting of office equipment and boxes (5 to 25 lbs); frequent walking and standing; requires dexterity in the use of fingers for the operation of computers and other office equipment.
Faculty, staff, administrators, students and the general public.
Occasional light lifting of office equipment and boxes; subject to changing priorities while meeting established deadlines; normal classroom/office environment.
- The successful applicant will be required to complete a medical history questionnaire and must agree to undergo and pass a pre-employment physical examination, based on the physical requirements of the position, prior to employment. The physician will be selected and paid for by the District. Disabilities not related to the essential physical job requirements will not preclude the applicant from being hired.
- Education Code § 87408.6 states that no person shall be initially employed by a community college district in an academic or classified position unless the person has submitted to an examination within the past sixty (60) days to determine that he or she is free of active tuberculosis.
- As a condition of employment the position you are applying for will require that you provide fingerprints to the local police department. The fee charged by the Department of Justice (DOJ) for the fingerprint report is the employee's responsibility. If you should be offered this position you will be asked to sign a payroll deduction form which will authorize the District to deduct the fee charged by the DOJ from your first paycheck.
The Butte-Glenn Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ALL APPLICANTS, INCLUDING CURRENT BUTTE COLLEGE EMPLOYEES, MUST SUBMIT ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS WITH THE ONLINE APPLICATION IN ORDER TO MOVE FORWARD IN THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS.
All on-line attachment types require that you attach a document.
Please describe in your cover letter how your past experience and qualifications meet the needs of this position.
RESUME OR VITA:
Please submit this as an attachment, not as a text resume within the application.
To apply, visit: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/buttecc/