ABE/Horticulture Assistant Professor - Tenure Track
Centralia College is seeking a Basic Education faculty member to instruct in the corrections education division. Faculty member of this division teach at either the Garrett Heyns Education Center located in the Washington Corrections Center at Shelton, WA or at the Cedar Creek Corrections Center located west of Littlerock, WA. The successful candidate will be instructing the Adult Basic Education contextualized to horticulture course. This course includes integrated outcomes for both horticulture and literacy and includes a hands-on learning garden. May include some evening work.
- Instruct basic literacy, GED preparation and high school completion courses.
- Design curriculum to meet literacy needs of adults including those with developmental delays or brain damage
- Participate in division meetings and committees
- Work in a team setting
- Master's Degree in Adult Basic education, Reading, Science or related field or 6 years recent journey level experience horticulture, botany, gardening, or associated trades;
- Teaching experience;
- Experience with curriculum and program development;
- Experience working with at-risk populations;
- Working knowledge of greenhouse management, crop production, Floriculture and grounds maintenance;
- Ability to meet Washington State Vocational Certification requirements;
- Experience with a variety of computer applications; and
- Ability to pass the Department of Corrections security clearance
- Experience working in a correctional setting
- Experience with native plants
- Experience in adult education
- Experience working with developmental delayed adults
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with colleagues in an innovative team-oriented program to maintain and insure program evolution
- Demonstrated experience assessing and documenting student learning
- Demonstrated ability to impart excitement and enthusiasm into teaching of horticulture
- Demonstrated ability to continually upgrade knowledge and skills in order to maintain relevant curriculum
- Demonstrated ability to work flexibly and effectively with other department members in a highly structured physical environment
Centralia College has a strong institutional commitment to the principles of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we strongly urge all qualified applicants, especially people of color, persons of disability, women, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans, to apply. Centralia College is an Equal Opportunity employer.
It is the policy of Centralia College to assure equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, creed, color, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, age (over 40), religion, the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability, or status as a disabled or Vietnam-era veteran.
Centralia College does not discriminate in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs or activities. Designated Title II, VI, VII, IX, Section 504, ADA compliance officer: Vice President for Human Resources and Legal Affairs, Hanson Hall Room 101, Centralia College, 600 Centralia College Blvd, Centralia WA 98531-4099, (360)623-8943.
The Human Resources Office is accessible for persons with disabilities. Those who need disability accommodation in the application/employment process, please call (360)623-8943.