Director of Student Activities
Responsible for developing/administering policies and procedures, budgetary decisions, extensive scope/impact of decisions on both internal and external contacts. This level position will be responsible for a subdivision/sub-unit of a department.
The Director of Student Activities is responsible for initiating, planning, implementing, and assessing innovative and impactful individual programs and experiences with primary focus on: student organizations, student organization leadership; individual student engagement opportunities; student groups engagement; and programming/activity experiences. The director position, based on the Kennesaw campus, reports to the Assistant Dean of Students for Student Life, within the Office of the Dean of Students. This position is also responsible for supervising full-time staff members. The responsibilities for the director include:
- Develop and implement student programs that promote student involvement and contribute to a vibrant/active social life that encourage individual student development, leadership skills, organizational development, and interpersonal skills
- Collaborate with the a host of other offices and departments for the implementation of programs and events across campus, including within the Division of Student Affairs
- Oversee the registered student organization process and support over 300 organizations and advisors
- Provide leadership and support as point of contact for Student Activities
- Oversee the comprehensive development and delivery of programs by the Kennesaw Activities Board and within the Carmichael Student Center
- Oversee the management, development, and expenditure of departmental and program budgets allocated from Student Activity fee
- Manage contract oversight by negotiating, reviewing, and executing various departmental contracts through appropriate university processes in a timely manner
- Responsible for establishing job expectations and performance goals for direct reports
- Provide timely and constructive feedback to direct reports regarding job performance and project management
- Conduct annual performance review of directs report based on university policies and procedures
- Coordinate the assessment and evaluation of programs and services for students, and compile annual Improve KSU and annual divisional reports
- Develop a system to track student participation and monitor impact on retention, progression, and graduation rates
- Ensures students involvement is tracked via Owl Life
- Serve as primary contact for and manage Owl Life Student Organization Management System by Campus Labs Engage
- Primary contact person for and primary advisor to the Student Media entities: The Sentinel Student Newspaper, Owl Radio, and The Peak Lifestyle Magazine
- Oversee the website support and social media for the department
- Apply theories that guide KSUs student involvement (e.g. Student Development Theory, Marginality and Mattering, Belongingness, etc.) to demonstrate learning and assess program effectiveness
- Build relationships with University partners to create experiences that intersect curricular, co-curricular, and extra-curricular learning for students
- Oversee the development of opportunities to engage all students in activities
- Serves as a Campus Security Authority as defined by the Jeanne Clery Act, and ensure all organization advisors understand their responsibilities as Campus Security Authorities under this Act
- Foster campus and community partnerships that serve to strengthen awareness of co-curricular and extra-curricular experiences within the Division of Student Affairs
- Serve on university-wide committees as assigned, including active support for planning and implementing university-wide initiatives such as Weeks of Welcome and Homecoming, and related coordination with staff on the Marietta campus
- Perform other duties as assigned
- This position involves frequently working nights and weekends.
The director actively partners with key stakeholders and advocates for appropriate resources for the department to best serve the community and will work with organization advisors. In addition to the Student Activities staff, the director will work most closely with Fraternity & Sorority Life, Student Center Operations, and the Dean of Students staff. Additional stakeholders for administrative interaction will include but are not limited to Student Engagement, Center for Student Leadership, Counseling and Psychological Services, Athletics, Housing and Residence Life, Sports & Recreation, Sports & Entertainment Park, and Orientation and Transition Programs.
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and/or veteran status.
Bachelor's degree and 5+ years comparable/related experience; management/supervisory skills are required.
Earned doctorate from accredited university in higher education, student affairs, or other related field is highly preferred. Other preferred qualifications include membership and involvement in national organizations related to position, exceptional written and oral communication skills, excellent organization abilities, and demonstrated proficiency in various assessment techniques.