Assistant Manager, Shared Services
Requisition # 2018-8583
Department Financial Services
Category Financial Services and Procurement
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Office of Finance & Treasury actively searches for staff members of exceptional ability and promise who share in Princeton University's commitment to excellence, and who present a diversity of viewpoints and cultures.
We currently seek an assistant manager who will work as part of a team of four shared financial services managers that provide proactive, responsive, and effective service for approximately 24 departments, programs, and centers with budgets exceeding $80M. Reporting to the Shared Services Manager, Financial Services in the Office of Finance and Treasury, the assistant manager collaborates with the managers of the academic units to ensure the effective management of financial processes and serves as a liaison between academic units and the Office of Finance and Treasury.
The assistant manager performs a variety of financial functions such as preparing and approving electronic expense reports, payment requests, journal entries, and requisitions; entering and maintaining salaries and other data in the Labor Accounting system; onboarding suppliers; preparing financial reports; and coordinating the university credit card processes. This individual will support other financial activities such as working and communicating with faculty and other academic departmental staff and students to ensure purchases are allowable and within budget and funds are disbursed appropriately. This person also ensures that internal controls are in place to achieve compliance with university policy and procedures.
Additionally, the assistant manager serves as an internal consultant and helps develop and improve processes and procedures and create mechanisms for timely and efficient workflow with the academic departments. The assistant manager proactively communicates university policies, procedures, and regulations, ensuring departmental compliance. Additionally, this individual attends all relevant training classes and stays current with changes in policies, procedures, and processes pertaining to financial management.
- Deliver financial transaction services to multiple academic and administrative units
- Processes financial transactions for multiple academic and administrative units while ensuring adherence to university policies and procedures. Specific processes may include:
- Preparing and approving electronic expense reports, payment requests, and requisitions.
- Onboarding suppliers.
- Prepares and execute journal entries.
- Enters and maintains salary and other data in the Labor Accounting system
- Prepares and delivers financial reports to the academic and administrative managers for review
- Provides support for the annual budgeting process as well as guidance on budgeting tools and best practices
- Partners with academic and administrative units, finance and treasury staff, audit and compliance, and others to develop and implement new business processes
- Consults with finance and treasury staff on policies and procedures that impact academic and administrative units
- Provides guidance to academic units on finance and treasury policies, procedures, systems, compliance issues, and best practices
- Collaborates on the development and delivery of training programs
- Provides input on, and tests, financial systems enhancements
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent work experience)
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience
- Outstanding organizational, prioritization, and multi-tasking skills, working in a fast paced environment with frequent interruptions
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- High level of competency with desktop computing tools such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and with system applications such as PeopleSoft
- Strong customer-service focus with an emphasis on outreach to departments; listens to and understands the unique needs of each department
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment
- Analytical expertise with strong business / accounting/financial management background
- Ability to develop and document effective and efficient business processes
- Evidence of self-motivation and the ability to work both independently and with teams, with high personal standards representative of Princeton University's commitment to excellence
Experience at Princeton, or an institution similar to Princeton
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.