Building Services Worker (Multiple Positions Available)
Summary of the Position
This position encompasses the cleaning and sanitizing of campus buildings, equipment and adjacent ground areas. Responsibilities include: floor cleaning and maintenance; rug cleaning; cleaning and sanitizing wash rooms, rest rooms, drinking fountains, etc.; cleaning and polishing furniture; moving and set up of office and apartment furniture, as well as furniture and equipment associated with college functions and operations. Seasonal snow removal is also required. These tasks are completed in accordance with established schedules and procedures at Bentley University. The physical demands of this position range from LIGHT to MEDIUM HEAVY. The heaviest physical demands are required during the moving and handling of cleaning equipment and furniture, especially up stairways in buildings where elevators are not available. These activities require handling from 25 to 75-pounds on an occasional to frequent basis. Heavier tasks may require the assistance of (2) or more co-workers.
There are multiple positions available, all of which are second and third shifts. Shifts include:
• Wednesday through Sunday, 3:00 pm – 11:30 pm
• Tuesday through Saturday, 10:30 pm – 7:00 am
• Thursday through Monday, 10:30 pm – 7:00 am
1. Safely performs all floor maintenance in accordance with industry standards, operating light and heavy (industrial type) machines and attachments in accordance with all safety rules and regulations including OSHA regulations.
2. Scrub, strip, wax and polish floors using heavy (industrial type) powered scrubbers and buffers in accordance with all safety rules.
3. Shampoos rugs using portable and truck mounted shampooing equipment following all operating and safety instructions.
4. Physically moves office and apartment furniture in rooms to be cleaned. Moves custodial equipment up stairs in areas where elevators are not available.
5. Uses mobile cleaning van and heavy equipment such as floor buffers, wet/dry vacuums, shampoo equipment, snow blowers and shovels, may be used. Small hand tools may be required to perform a variety of equipment adjustments and maintenance tasks. Dollies, hand trucks, and rolling carts, etc. are used to assist in furniture and equipment movement.
6. Properly cares for and maintains the equipment under their charge, vacuums, floor machines, etc.
7. Safety shoes and Bentley uniforms are required to be worn at all times. Eye and hearing protection will need to be worn during certain tasks.
8. Performs all floor maintenance in accordance with industry standards.
9. Responsible for cleanliness and sanitation of buildings and adjacent ground areas. Empties and cleans interior and exterior waste baskets, smoking urns, and receptacles and delivers waste to designated collecting area. Maintains and monitors immediate building exterior.
10. Cleans and polishes office furniture: e.g. desks, tables, book cases and file cabinets. Responsible for detail work: e.g. polishing brass, stainless steel, and drinking fountains.
11. Cleans and dusts ledges, corners, baseboards, and all furniture without disturbing customer's personal belongings.
12. Cleans and maintains a (clean for health) sanitary condition in both wash and rest rooms, drinking fountains, locker rooms, etc.
13. Participates in training to keep and acquire knowledge, skills, and abilities to remain current with standard operational practices and revised standards.
14. Follows proper clean-up and recycling procedures as well as observe all safety rules and regulations (including OSHA regulations) while handling and/or caring for Bentley tools and equipment, to avoid injury to self and others.
15. Reports building damages, malfunctioning equipment, needed maintenance and/or repairs in assigned work areas.
16. Moves and sets up furniture and equipment associated with on-going university operations and functions as per building specifications and frequencies. Performs light furniture moves in assigned buildings for cleaning and safety concerns.
17. Responds to campus cleaning emergencies.
18. Responds to emergency call-in situations.
19. Interacts professionally with all members of the Bentley community.
20. Inputs data into the computerized work order system, recording time and work order information.
Minimum Qualifications(Education and Experience Requirements)
1. A minimum of 1-3 years related experience is preferred.
2. Must be physically able to perform the essential duties of the position as set forth in this Position Content Description Document.
3. Must be able to read, write and interpret documents in the English language, e.g. safety rules, material safety data sheets (MSDS), operating repair, installation and procedure instruction manuals.
4. Must be able to effectively interact and communicate with co-workers and supervisors.
5. Must be available for emergency call-in situations.
6. Use of motor vehicle required for transportation of tools and equipment for job related duties. Must hold and maintain a valid, unrestricted United States driver's license, with an insurable driving history as determined by Bentley's insurance carrier. May be required to drive a Bentley issued vehicle.
7. Properly uses and cares for Bentley tools, radios and equipment.
Some experience with electrical, plumbing, HVAC. Experience with work order systems a plus.
1. Ability to squat, kneel and maintain bent postures from 5 minutes up to 10 minutes for a continuous duration, on an occasional to frequent basis. 2. Ability to walk for up to 300-feet on a repetitive basis and climb up to 24 steps on an occasional basis. 3. Ability to lift up to 25 pounds individually and up to 100-pounds with assistance, 0-72 inch height range, on an occasional to frequent basis. 4. Ability to carry up to 25-pounds, at waist level for up to 25 feet on an occasional to frequent basis. 5. Ability to push and pull against resistances up to 50-pounds on an occasional basis. 6. Ability to extend reach with both arms, from floor level to overhead, handling up to 25-pounds on an occasional basis. 7. Ability to manipulate small parts, machine and computer controls and various hand tools on a frequent basis.
Posting Detail Information
Special Instructions to Applicants
Bentley University requires reference checks and may conduct other pre-employment screening.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you possess a valid, unrestricted United States driver's license with an insurable driving history?
- * Which shifts are you interested in working?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you available work on weekends?
- * Are you available to work after hours and/or on weekends for emergency call-in situations?
- * Please describe any experience you have in electrical, carpentry, or plumbing systems.
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity.