Research Associate-Fixed Term
The Michigan State University Center for Global Change and Earth Observations (CGCEO) invites applicants for a 12-month full-time Research Associate (postdoctoral) to begin June 1, 2018, under the supervision of Professor Jiaguo Qi, in the area of land use and land cover change, geospatial processing and modeling, and global environmental sciences. Initial appointment will be for one year and will be subject to renewal for up to three years.
The successful candidate will play a significant role in research and the Asia Hub initiative supported by MSU and externally funded projects. The research will focus on the role of land use/cover change, specific management practices, and climate change in the water-energy-food nexus at watershed to regional scales.
Responsibilities may include the following:
- Coordinates research projects and assists faculty in the context of Asia Hub initiative in partnership with institutions in Southeast Asia;
- Performs land use/cover change analysis, with remotely sensed and other ancillary data to produce technological advances and scientific discoveries of coupled natural and human systems;
- Assists the Center's director in the supervision of graduate student employees and coordinating international visiting scholars for effective collaboration and partnership, especially in the context of Asia Hub initiative;
- Assists in the preparation of project reports, journal articles, and meetings;
- Participates in proposal preparation including assembling technical materials for proposals.
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities. Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accommodation.Required Degree
Ph.D. degree in environmental science, geoscience, geographic information science, ecology, or related field is required.
Technical skills include GEE, geographic information systems, statistics, JAVA, Python, Erdas, or ENVI. The successful candidate must also possess excellent oral and written communication skills in English.Desired Qualifications
Successful candidates should have demonstrated experience and strong research interests in coupled nature and human systems, including:
- Geospatial processing and modeling;
- Land use and land cover change dynamics;
- Water-energy-food nexus framework and theory;
- ABM theories and applications;
- Socioeconomic aspects of environmental change;
- Knowledge of international programs such as Future Earth's GLP and MAIRS.
Multilingual candidate is preferred, especially knowledge of languages that could benefit exchanges with Asia Hub initiative countries including China, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, and Myanmar.
Ability to code in GEE, Python, and Erdas Imagine environment to dynamically link to process-based models (such as DNDC) strongly desired.Required Application Materials
Application materials should include:
- One to two-page cover letter and statement of career objectives;
- Most recent CV;
- Names, positions, and contact information of three references who may be contacted should the department request it
- One published or submitted manuscript with primary authorship for the candidate.
Application materials must be submitted electronically at http://careers.msu.edu.Special Instructions
Review of applicants will begin April 9, 2018 and will continue until position is filled.
For more information about this position, please contact Dr. Jiaguo Qi at firstname.lastname@example.org.