Working Title: Laboratory Specialist
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: School of Medicine, SOM Core Facilities
Posting Date: 03-15-2018
The position is required in the UVA Biorepository and Tissue Research Facility for supporting biomedical research, basic science, and clinical trials for the UVA Cancer Center and other UVA departments. The majority of effort will entail in 2 areas: 1), Collection, processing, distribution, cataloging and data annotation in support of clinical, translational and basic research at the University of Virginia and 2), Providing technical services which include cell preparation, biomolecular extraction, performing tests on tissue, blood and other body fluid. This position will work during an alternate work schedule, either from 10 AM until 6 PM or from 12 noon to 8.00 PM.
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor's degree in life science or a related field by appointment start date. At least two years of experience working in biomedical research lab performing a variety of experimental procedures (such as tissue and fluid processing for histological and analytical assays, maintaining cell culture, performing RNA, DNA and protein extractions and assays) is required. Experience working in a biomedical research lab as an undergraduate or Master's student will be considered in lieu of experience. Previous research experience working with molecular biology, immunology, and animal models are preferred.
This is a restricted position contingent upon the continued availability of funding.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Entry to intermediate knowledge of biological and biomedical processes including ability to use sterile technique, pipetting, measuring and centrifugation
2. Meticulous attention to detail, rigorous adherence to protocols and a good work ethic.
3. Ability to work effectively as a member of a research team with strong organizational and time management skills
4. Familial with medical terminology
5. Knowledge of general laboratory biosafety procedures
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=84104