10005348 Writing, Undergraduate School - Adjunct Faculty
Adjunct FacultyWriting UMUC Stateside The Undergraduate School Location: Eglin Air Force Base, FL University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks adjunct faculty to teach, on site in Eglin Air Force Base, FL in the Writing program. Specifically, we are seeking faculty for courses involving technical, business, and academic writing (WRTG 391, WRTG 393, and WRTG 394). Advanced Research Writing (WRTG 391, 3 Credits): (Fulfills the general education requirement in upper-level advanced writing.) Prerequisite: WRTG 101, WRTG 101S, or WRTG 112. Instruction and practice in academic research skills. The objective is to critically analyze scholarly and other credible sources and effectively integrate source material into a complex argument. Emphasis is placed on synthesizing multiple sources in producing a literature review on a focused topic. Students may receive credit for only one of the following courses: ENGL 391, ENGL 391X, WRTG 391, or WRTG 391X. Advanced Technical Writing (WRTG 393, 3 Credits): A comprehensive, project-based study of applied technical writing. The aim is to design and develop appropriate and effective technical documents using strategies and technologies for a variety of audiences. Advanced Business Writing (WRTG 394, 3 Credits): A comprehensive, project-based study of applied business writing. The aim is to develop documents appropriate to audience and purpose that are well argued and conform to standards to business writing. Topics include context, purpose, audience, style, organization, format, results, technologies, and strategies for persuasion in typical workplace messages. In addition to shorter assignments, a substantial formal report that incorporates research and support for conclusions or recommendations is required. Required Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in English or related field from an accredited institution of higher learning. Terminal degree preferred.
- Professional experience in a related field
- You must meet the minimum technology requirements, which can be reviewed at https://www.umuc.edu/visitors/careers/facultyrecruit/upload/Adjunct-Faculty-Minimum-Technology-Requirements.pdf
- Experience teaching adult learners online and in higher education is strongly preferred
- This position is specifically to teach in Eglin Air Force Base, FL.
- Resume/ Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter highly preferred
- If selected, candidates with international degrees may be required to submit translation/ degree evaluation from WES, AACRAO or IERF
- Actively engage students through frequent interaction that motivates them to succeed, and conveys a genuine energy and enthusiasm for their learning.
- Guide students in active collaboration and the application of their learning in problem- and project-based learning demonstrations.
- Provide rich and regular constructive feedback, utilizing rubrics effectively for the assessment of student work, and acknowledging student accomplishments.
- Demonstrate relevant and current subject-matter expertise, and help students connect concepts across their academic program.
- Provide feedback to your program chair on possible curricular improvements.
Position Available and will Remain Open until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Adjunct faculty candidates will be required to provide official transcripts during the candidate selection process.