Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
We are looking for a highly motivated, organized, detail-oriented individual to work with a team of interdisciplinary investigators focused on mechanisms of breast cancer progression and treatment. Your job will be to assist the principal investigators, post-doctoral fellows, and graduate students with their ongoing research projects.
This position will be primarily focused on molecular biology techniques, including cloning, immunoblotting, immunohistochemistry, qPCR, luciferase reporter experiments, and cell culture. This position will also involve some work with mouse models of cancer, which includes surgical manipulation, euthanasia, and tissue collection from mice. Because of the nature of our studies, some night and weekend work may occasionally be required, with advance notice. Your responsibilities will also include general laboratory maintenance (washing dishes, autoclaving, making solutions).
You should also be proficient in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, and be able to learn and utilize software for various technical equipment. You must have excellent communication skills and be able to work with other individuals, as well as within group research settings, keep good records, and have good organizational skills.
Opportunities for self-directed projects exist for exceptionally motivated individuals.
Specific job description/duties include but are not limited to:
1) Perform molecular biology to include DNA, RNA, and protein related experiments to assist the PI, Postdocs, and graduate students
2) Perform cell culture studies on both cancer and normal cell lines using aseptic technique
3) Assist with rodent studies as needed, including surgery, euthanasia, and tissue collection according to established protocols
4) Perform experiments on tissues collected from studies (IHC, qPCR, etc)
5) Help to maintain a clean and orderly lab by regularly washing and autoclaving dishes and tools
6) Maintain common lab solutions
7) Supply ordering and basic book-keeping
8) Other research-related duties as designated by the principal investigators
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Minimum requirements for this PRA candidate include a Bachelor's degree in basic or applied sciences, preferably molecular biology or biochemistry, and two or more years of working experience as a PRA or equivalent position.
College transcripts are desired.
Desired qualifications include previous experience with molecular biology techniques including RNA isolation, tissue culture, immunohistochemistry, and rodent handling.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 12939
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20112 - SOM-Pathology
Posting Date: Mar 15, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Joe Wozniak
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00701129