Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Professional Research Assistant
Division of Surgical Oncology / Department of Surgery
Position # 50103 / Job Posting # 12922
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
Nature of Work:
This is a full-time Professional Research Assistant (PRA) position in the Department of Surgery, University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Center (AMC), Aurora, Colorado. The position involves basic research in the area of tumor immunology.
The employee will work in the laboratory of Dr. Yuwen Zhu and other lab personnel located within the department of Immunology and Microbiology. He/she will interact principally with the research faculty, their senior associates, residents, and academic trainees. The position is not eligible for tenure. An employee in this position can be terminated at any time without notice and severance pay may not be provided.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This is a position requiring interest in basic and medical research, the ability to be self-directed and detail-oriented, with strong communication and interpersonal skills. This position entails the execution of both in vivo and in vitro experiments as they relate to small-animal (rodent) models of host responses to tumors. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Collecting and processing human cancer specimens.
- Assessing tumor progression or regression in mouse models impacted by therapeutic interventions.
- Breeding, record keeping and cellular/molecular phenotyping of genetically defined and manipulated mouse strains.
- Perform general lab duties such as monitoring and preparing reagents for tissue culture, media/reagent preparation, or other cellular and molecular assays.
- Execution and troubleshooting of a variety in vitro cellular and molecular immunological techniques such as flow cytometry, lymphocyte proliferation and differentiation, cytotoxicity assays, ELISPOT, and ELISA analyses.
- Providing assistance to other lab personnel when necessary.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Minimum of Bachelors of Sciences or Bachelors of Arts degree in biological sciences.
- Experience with record keeping
- 1 to 3 years of relevant, paid research laboratory experience
- Experience with animal handling, immunohistochemistry staining, and flow cytometry, ELISA and PCR (or other related in vitro assays) is preferred.
- Experience with various software programs in Microsoft Office are necessary. Statistical software experience/proficiency a plus.
- Master's degree or graduate level course work in biological sciences.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a research team.
- Motivated, reliable and willing to be supervised and taught new research techniques.
- Good organizational and quantitative skills.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled.
The University of Colorado is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment of our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees prior to their emplyment. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:When applying at www.jobsatcu.com, applicants must include: 1) Cover Letter 2) Current CV/ Resume 3) The name, daytime telephone number and e-mail addresses for three professional references
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21701 - SOM-SRG-Surg Onc Clinical
Posting Date: Mar 15, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Bryan Downey
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00050103