Vice President, Finance and Administrative Services
Vice President, Finance and Administrative Services
Kern Community College District
Position Number: 02323
Posting Date: 02/09/2018
Initial Screening Date: 04/02/2018
Open Until Filled: No
Position Type: Management
Minimum Salary: $134,787.12 per year
Maximum Salary: $176,852.38 per year (maximum entry $138,156.80 per year)
Our competitive benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance coverage; long-term disability insurance, and an employee assistance program (EAP).
In addition, employees have the option to purchase:
- Flex 125
- AFLAC Policy
- Supplemental voluntary life insurance
- 403b Tax Shelter Annuity
All coverages begin on the first day of the month following the hire date. Employees are covered under the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS) and are vested 100% after five years of full time service.
College/Site: Bakersfield College
Location: BC-Main Campus
The Vice President, Finance and Administrative Services, shall be directly responsible to the College President with the following major areas of responsibility: Provide fiscal and financial analysis, prepare a College budget, oversee maintenance and operations, college facilities planning, public safety, food services, the mail room, and liaison with various vendor contractors.
Examples of Duties:
1. Oversee development and monitoring of College budgets consistent with District goals and applicable laws; advises the President on fiscal implications of budgetary decisions.
2. Prepare, edit, manage, and reconcile budgets for all programs supervised; provide for the internal allocation and regulation of funds though requisitions and internal adjustment of funds.
3. Conduct financial analysis.
4. Participate in policy development in matters of fiscal management and business operations.
5. Manage operations and provide innovative leadership for the following College functions: maintenance and operations, public safety, food services operations, and mailroom.
6. Select, train, supervise, and evaluate managers and other staff; coordinate the work of Finance and Administrative Services with other major College units.
7. Coordinate the planning, development, and implementation of innovative approaches to fiscal management.
8. Oversee the purchase, maintenance and repair of equipment and facilities.
9. Liaison with auxiliary service contractors.
10. Liaison with District Facilities Planning and Construction, as well as contractors.
11. Monitor budgets in areas of responsibility.
12. Serve as Bakersfield College Foundation Secretary/Treasurer.
13. Participate in appropriate committees, conferences, seminars, and workshops.
14. Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• Master’s Degree from an accredited institution in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Finance or Accounting and four years of experience managing an accounting operation.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and a Certified Public Accounting certificate with four (4) years Public Accounting experience with supervisory experience.
• Bachelor’s Degree with an emphasis in Accounting or Finance and seven (7)
years managing an accounting or finance operation.
Equivalency Process: If an applicant believes to possess equivalent qualifications to the stated minimum qualifications for this position, applicants are required to provide a separate equivalency statement along with the required application materials. Applicants must provide the following evidence that support being equivalent to the stated minimum qualifications for this
• Detailed work history with employment references
• Transcript(s) from an accredited institution
• Certificates and/or other related documents
• Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic,
socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, and disability backgrounds of community college.
• Audit and Fund Accounting experience in a public sector business such as a
California School District.
• Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems experience.
Knowledge and Abilities:
• Fund Accounting principles
• Budget-related administrative assignments.
• Leadership and managerial techniques.
• Contemporary issues in higher education.
• Personnel and budget management.
• Exercise critical thinking skill sets that include the ability to articulate issues,
analyze data, develop options and provide recommendations.
• Exercise leadership and maintain good working relationships with faculty,
students, and staff.
• Effectively manage priorities in large, complex, and diverse operational units.
• Effectively communicate orally and in writing.
• Perform short and long-range budget, financial and operational planning.
• Work collaboratively and productively with faculty, students, administrators,
support staff, and the community.
• Effectively work within a system of participatory governance.
• Effectively work with academic, occupational, developmental, and entrepreneurial programs in a multi-campus environment.
• Facilitate change in a productive and positive manner.
• Foster teamwork and to establish consensus.
• Effectively represent the college in the community.
Salary Grade: L
Special Instructions to Applicants:
First Review of Applications:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) on April 2, 2018 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
- Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
- List of six (6) professional references - Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
Recruitment Status (tentative):
- Application Screening: TBD
- Interviews: TBD
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/9927. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.