- Knowledge of general custodial and/or housekeeping practices.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with the ability get along with others.
- Demonstrated ability to read, write, speak and understand English to effectively communicate and understand others, and to follow oral and written instructions.
- The ability to operate powered and non powered cleaning equipment.
- Must be willing and able to learn the use of heavy floor care equipment.
- The ability to work with and properly use or learn to use cleaning chemicals and agents, including dilution and dispensing systems.
- Personal protective equipment will be required during specific work duties as determined by the department.
- The ability to stand for extended periods of time; lift and carry objects up to 50 lbs and tolerate frequent bending, stooping, and climbing stairs.
- The ability to work outdoors in temperatures below 32 degrees and above 90 degrees.
High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of commercial cleaning methods.
- Basic computer skills.
- Previous experience in custodial practices to include (dry and wet mopping, stripping, burnishing, buffing floors and shampooing of carpeting), as well as sanitizing restrooms and replenishing supplies) highly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working as custodian is preferred.
The College of William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.