Communication & Dissemination Specialist
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine | Data Science to Patient Value (D2V)
Communication & Dissemination Specialist (Communications Senior Professional)
Position #741003 - Requisition 11785
Data Science to Patient Value (D2V) has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Communication & Dissemination Specialist (Communications Senior Professional) position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
Data Science to Patient Value (D2V) (cuD2V.org) is a multidisciplinary research initiative that focuses on the development, implementation, and dissemination of person-centered, high value health care through innovations in data and health systems science. D2V accomplishes this by creating an environment of collaboration and innovation in which the top minds in Data Science, Health Care Delivery and Health Services Research tackle important problems. D2V places a high priority on translation and dissemination ensuring the 'products', be they analytic methods or care pathways, have maximal impact.
D2V-a newly created initiative at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus that focuses on data-driven improvements in health care delivery, outcomes, and experience-has an opening for a full-time Communications & Dissemination Specialist. The goal of the D2V initiative is to make the University of Colorado | Anschutz Medical Campus School of Medicine a national and global leader in the development, implementation and dissemination of person-centered, high value health care by advancing innovations in data and health systems science to improve the lives of patient, families, and communities.
Examples of Work Performed:
The Communications & Dissemination Specialist works with the Program Manager, Dissemination and Engagement Core Leads to deliver a wide range of communications activities and projects aimed at academic and non-academic external and internal stakeholders. This role will take the lead in implementing the communications and dissemination plan for D2V, in particular building strong relationships with academic and community partners, identifying and using effective channels for communicating with them and for gathering feedback. This position will also be responsible for a wide range of digital and traditional communications focused on stakeholders and staff. This role requires strong writing and editorial skills in order to produce a number of articles for internal and external newsletters and other media.
Responsibilities will include developing and implementing general D2V communication and promotion strategies in collaboration with the D2V dissemination core leads and program manager, as well as developing project-specific participant recruitment, education, and training materials in collaboration with project investigators, developing and distributing dissemination materials appropriate for multiple lay and professional audiences, and organizing and cataloging materials as templates and examples for future use. Candidates with experience or interest in data science and graphical displays of data are encouraged to apply.
- Ensure at all times that the reputations of the D2V and associated project/s, are protected and enhanced.
- Ensure that the dissemination and communications strategies for the project/s are consistent with D2V's broader Communications & Dissemination framework, and other program and university guidelines and policies.
- Write, edit and distribute communications materials appropriate for different target audiences, from the technical detail required for experienced professionals to clear and plain explanations for the general public.
- Create and implement content for web and intranet.
- Develop and implement social media content.
- Ensure digital channels are used as an integrated communications tool.
- As a key member of a small communications team, proactively offer support to the development and implementation of all strategies and plans, and contribute to the overall strategic direction of the program.
- Identify opportunities within the project/s to demonstrate world's best practice engagement and communications approaches and strategies.
- Manage ad hoc projects in the Communications function as requested by the Program Manager or Program/Core Leadership
- Report impact/outcome metrics to leadership team.
- Maintain CRM platform of D2V stakeholders.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A bachelor's degree in marketing, journalism, public relations, communications, business administration, business, fine arts or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- Two (2) years of communications, marketing, digital design, electronic media, and/or graphic design experience.
Application Requirement: Please include a portfolio of work which includes at least 3 examples of relevant completed work, such as: infographics, eBooks, print or electronic promotion, marketing materials, and social media marketing.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
- A background in health research or health delivery.
- Experience working with a wide range of communications and engagement activities, which includes working with diverse communities, academic faculty and students, government, industry and other stakeholders.
- Experience delivering communications strategies, particularly in relation to difficult and complex issues with competing stakeholder interests.
- Experience working with media, marketing, event management and digital communications.
- Experience working in a scientific research or health care setting.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent computer skills including basic web design and Photoshop or similar programs.
- Must be self-motivated, take initiative and work with autonomy.
- Strong at time management skills, with an interested in improving skills over time.
- Strong collaborating and communicating skills; the ability to work within a multidisciplinary team of clinicians and researchers.
- Strong understanding of the needs of stakeholders such as patients and caregivers.
- Interest in the applications of digital design and communications; ability to manage user interface design and big data in health care settings.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to achieve high level of collaboration within the organization and with our community partners and other stakeholders, to ensure a high degree of effectiveness and efficiency, and achievement of project objectives.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated ability to apply strategic level thinking, problem solving and decision making to the resolution of complex problems.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to work flexibly in response to changing needs.
- Continuous learning and improvement using state of the art eMarketing and communications technologies.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) 4. A portfolio of work which includes at least 3 examples of relevant completed work, such as: infographics, eBooks, print or electronic promotion, marketing materials, and social media marketing. Questions should be directed to: Kayla LaPerriere at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Review of applications will begin 11/27/2017, and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Communication
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21628 - SOM-COHO Center
Posting Date: Nov 13, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kayla LaPerriere
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00741003