Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
We seek a highly motivated individual to join a dynamic team to solve challenging biomedical questions using state-of-the-art mass spectrometry techniques. Working under the direction of the School of Medicine Metabolomics Core Manager and Director, the candidate will assume responsibility for: a) sample preparation and data analysis for mass spectrometry based metabolomics, including the qualitative and quantitative characterization of complex biological samples (cells, tissues, biofluids); b) instrumentation quality control; c) communication with collaborators about experimental design and
results; d) assisting with preparation of technical reports, publications, and presentations.
The position requires a highly organized individual with strong motivation and commitment, analytical skills, attention to details, software & computer
capabilities, and places an emphasis on communication and interpersonal skills. For more information on the University of Colorado School of Medicine Metabolomics Core, please visit our website: http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/
Specific Position Duties with Percentage of Time:
Data acquisition, analysis, and validation (45%)
- Acquire and analyze metabolomics data
- Prepare report of quantitative findings including statistical analysis
- Maintain laboratory research records of all experiments performed
Prepare samples for analysis (30%)
- Biomolecule extraction
- Preparation and addition of internal standard solutions
Evaluate analytical platforms (10%)
- Routine calibration, testing, and validation of LC and MS systems
- Assist with instrument troubleshooting and repair
Dissemination of results and assisting in generating publications (10%)
- Oral and written presentation of technical results
General Lab Operations Duties (5%)
- Communicate regularly with clients, including meetings and responding to email and phone queries
- Maintenance of computers, software and data records
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- MS preferred. BS or BA required. Degree(s) in chemistry, biochemistry, or biology strongly preferred.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communications skills are required.
- The ability to independently solve problems and troubleshoot experiments and instrumentation is required.
- Experience maintaining good records of research and reporting scientific findings is required.
- Experience with bench science and analytical instrumentation is required.
- Candidate must be proficient with computer operating systems (Windows and/or Mac) and Microsoft Office software
(Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Proficiency with data analysis software is strongly preferred.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 12921
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20085 - SOM-BioChem&Molecular Genetics
Posting Date: Mar 14, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Julie Haines
Posting Contact Email: Julie.Haines@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00729896