Athletics Budget Director
Athletics Budget Director
Department: Business & Finance
Posting Number: 201301186P
Full or Part Time: Full Time
Number of Months: 12
Work Schedule: Work performed during standard business hours. Work also performed in sports facilities and during non-business hours.
Position End Date:
Open Date: 10/27/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Under direction of the Vice President for Business and Finance (VPBF) and supporting the University's Athletics Director (AD) and staff, the Athletics Budget Director (ABD) is responsible for the financial and budgetary development and management of intercollegiate athletic programs.
Responsibilities include budget development and coordination; ensuring adherence to University internal controls, financial reporting policies and procedures and coordinating with other University divisions and departments including University Budget Office, Controllers Office, Human Resources and Internal Audit; and serving as the Department's budget advisor to the VPBF and AD.
The ABD plays a key role in supporting the VPBF and AD in the development of long range financial plans, aligning and projecting Department resources with the University's multi-year strategic plan, and ensuring that the budgets are properly maintained within necessary University, Divisional, and Departmental parameters and priorities.
1. Develops the annual operating budget and long-range budget plans for Athletics based on the University’s allocation, projected revenues and other relevant factors in order to meet planning goals and financial targets set by the VPBF/President/Board of Regents.
2. Provides periodic projections of Athletics’ end of year surpluses and deficits, by sport and administrative unit, to enable prioritized strategic use of funds.
3. Manages and monitors annual operating budget based on all funds throughout the fiscal year, including Athletics Financial Aid expenses.
4. Evaluates requests and makes resource recommendations to VPBF and AD.
5. Implements budgeting and financial controls within Athletics and serves as the liaison with the University Budget Office, Controller’s Office, Financial Aid Office and Internal Audit on these matters.
6. Assists internal and external auditors in preparing and compiling data on audit schedules.
7. Provides administrative direction and coordination of the Department’s operating budget.
8. Reviews account reconciliations, budget transfers and journal entries for compliance with University policies and procedures.
9. Develops, implements and maintains administrative policies, procedures and processes to improve department operations and internal controls.
10. Provides internal control expertise and oversight of all financial processes within the sports programs, administrative units, campus and all other activities within Athletics.
11. Prepares and delivers various written and oral reports and presentations pertaining to the Division’s budgetary and fiscal matters as necessary.
12. Maintains strong customer service relationships with the VPBF, and the AD. Works closely and collaboratively with administrative departments, external consultants, auditors and other professional entities.
13. Provides support and training to coaches and staff to ensure that they understand and are responsible for their departmental budgets.
14. Develops and prepares both monthly and ad hoc all-funds reports, analyses and projections for the use by the VPBF, AD and others in various levels of planning and decision-making.
15. Other duties as assigned.
The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Requires extended periods of sitting and repetitive hand/wrist motion while using computer keyboard and phone. Occasional standing, walking, walking across campus, climbing stairs, bending, stooping and reaching. Constant verbal and written communication. Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel:
Work performed primarily in office environment. Work performed during standard business hours. Work also performed in sports facilities and during non-business hours. Occasional travel required.
Valid driver’s license required. Incumbent must also be able to meet the University’s fleet rules and be eligible to drive for University business. The University and its insurance carrier reserves the right to exclude applicants based on their driving record.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience, exempt
To apply, visit: https://pacific.peopleadmin.com/postings/11616
Background Check Statement:
Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check
AA/EEO Policy Statement:
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.