On Call/Part-Time Licensed Professional Counselor
Under the direction of the Director of Student Health and Counseling Services, the on call/part-time licensed professional counselor is required to receive, respond to, and manage mental health related issues affecting Fort Valley State University students.
Duties and Responsibilities
- On an on-call basis, provides clinical and crisis prevention services to students, emphasizing the psychiatric, emotional, academic, and social development of the college population
- Utilizes the Office of Student Health and Counseling Services procedures for intake to include demographical information, current medical history, mental health status exam, etc.
- Administers the Columbia Rating scale of suicidality to assess risk and determine appropriate course of action and response
- Utilizes a therapeutic approach by holistically delivering integrated services in order to promote student success and retention
- A Master's Degree in counseling, psychology or a related field from an accredited university is required.
- Three to five years of experience in the field of mental health, preferably in higher education, is a requirement.
- Certifications required include the following: Licensed Professional Counselor at minimum. The successful candidate must possess advanced knowledge in the areas of crisis response and in disability services and laws.
- The ability to appropriately respond to crisis situations.
- Able to manage a large number of crisis intervention calls and the ability to make appropriate priority judgments.
- Must possess therapeutic skills effective with a college population.
- The ability to network and develop working relationships with students, faculty, staff and colleagues from other USG institutions and prospective employers is necessary.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Able to listen to and understand a variety of viewpoints and cultural backgrounds in order to help solve problems and make a difference in the lives of student clients.
- Highly organized.
- A thorough knowledge/understanding of ethics/ laws pertinent to mental health disabilities
- Membership in, or ability to join if hired, American Counseling Association and/or American Psychological Association. Computer proficiency
- Working knowledge of Electronic Medical Records management systems
- Knowledge of HIPAA laws and compliance
- Local travel required on occasion
- Must be available for on call events during evenings/nights/weekends/holidays
- Work is performed in a climate controlled environment
Position may require standing or sitting for extended periods of time, lifting heavy objects, performing repetitive tasks
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.