Technology Support Specialist (R-0860)
TigerTech is the IT helpdesk for Fort Hays State University. TigerTech support students, faculty, staff, and visitors in most IT related issues, and consists of two tiers of support. Tier 1 agents support the basics of university systems, password resets, and university phone operator functions. Tier 2 agents handle overflow from tier 1 as well as all higher-level IT desktop support issues involving faculty, staff, and labs. This position would be part of our Tier 2 team that primarily supplies enterprise class support of desktop computers to faculty and staff. Tier 2 staff manage about 2500 machines across campus and in satellite offices.
- Provide friendly, professional, and timely support of issues via email, phone, tickets, remote, and desk-side service.
- Assist with the deployment of machines to faculty, staff, and labs.
- Occasionally serve as backup to tier 1 agents when needing additional support.
- Maintain inventory accountability for University owned computers.
- Appropriately handle outgoing equipment while securing sensitive data devices.
- Create and maintain department documentation of processes, support procedures, instructions, and checklists.
- Assist with the evaluation and purchasing hardware for the University.
- Collaborate with Server and Network system administrators to develop the best working environment for our end users.
- Assist end-users with necessary aspects of computer technology needs so they can best serve the University.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited university.
- 2+ years IT Support related work.
- Strong troubleshooting skills dealing with Windows OS, Mac OS, MS Office, and network related issues.
- Experience with Windows AD, Group Policies, basic Windows scripting.
- Patch management basics for Windows and Mac.
- In-depth knowledge of OS internals, file system structures, and machine architectures.
- Familiar with TCP/IP, switches, firewalls, routers, and their basic operations.
- General knowledge of IT security issues, including Anti-Virus programs, Phishing attacks, and best practices.
- Working knowledge of network file shares, mapped drives, and DFS.
- Image and software deployment for Windows and Mac computers.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments, priorities, and projects.
- Excellent customer relation skills in working with technical and non-technical users.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to explain technical procedures verbally or in writing.
- Effectively collaborate with team members at all levels.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Priority deadline is March 25th. Review of applications will begin after the priority deadline and continue until the position has been filled.
BENEFITS: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, transcripts, names and contact information for three references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CAREERS. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
ABOUT FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY:
Forward Thinking. World Ready - Fort Hays State University is a highly entrepreneurial teaching focused institution with major operations on-campus, online and in China. Providing a high-quality education at an affordable price, FHSU is ranked by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the top ten fastest growing universities in the U.S. It has an enrollment in excess of 14,000 students (Approximately 5,000 on campus, 3,500 in China, and over 6,000 online) and over 380 full time faculty. Bachelors, masters and professional doctoral degrees are offered through five colleges, the Graduate School, the Honors College, the Virtual College, and various international partnerships. Fort Hays State University's award-winning Virtual College coordinates distance education to the U.S. Armed Services and students in over 20 countries. The Virtual College has received many accolades, including U.S. News & World Report Online Programs rankings, GetEducated.com, Best Buys in Education, among others. Students at FHSU may select a major field of study from 30 departments. FHSU is fully accredited by several national agencies, and is one of six state-assisted institutions of higher education governed by a Board of Regents appointed by the governor of the state of Kansas. The website StateUniversity.com ranked the Fort Hays State campus as the safest in the state of Kansas.
The University has rich sports and cultural programming, all of which enjoy tremendous community support. The Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center is home to the Encore Series, which hosts many travelling Broadway shows, the Hays Symphony, university and other national and world-caliber performances. Fort Hays State University athletic events provide NCAA Division II athletic entertainment.
ABOUT HAYS, KS:
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant university community of approximately 22,000, located half way between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays has received numerous recent accolades such as being voted an All-American City, second best city in the state to raise children, and also the third best small college town in America. It is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas – serving a population of nearly 400,000. Hays boasts excellent recreational facilities including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, the Sternberg Museum of Natural History, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, an extensive recreational program, and excellent opportunities for walking, running, and biking. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes providing boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The community has award-winning public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, robust retail outlets, one of the lowest unemployment rates and commute times in the U.S., the city provides a safe, very friendly, low-cost, high-quality living environment.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.