Nursing faculty (NUR2-18)
Oakton Community College, a caring community of educators dedicated to excellence in teaching and learning, seeks to fill one tenure track faculty openings in Nursing beginning with the 2018-19 academic year Fall 2018. The position will be based out of the Des Plaines campus.
Founded in 1969, Oakton is a comprehensive two-year community college offering associate's degree programs and non-credit courses in northern Cook County, Illinois. Oakton's 147-acre main campus sits in a forest preserve in Des Plaines, Illinois. A second campus in Skokie serves residents on the eastern side of the District and is home to the Art, Science, and Technology Pavilion. The College also offers continuing education classes at off-campus locations throughout the region, and many students pursue studies at home through our distance learning program. The College is undertaking a five year, $68.5 million Master Plan which included the construction of a new Science and Health Careers building on the Des Plaines campus.
Oakton is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association. The College is recognized by the Illinois Community College Board and is a member of the American Association of Community Colleges, as well as numerous professional organizations.
Oakton's 700 full- and part-time faculty members' true passion is teaching. In small classes, our faculty engage students as individuals and guide their learning experience.
The successful applicant will have a medical-surgical nursing background as well as a background in a nursing specialty (e.g., Community and Home Health, Elder Care, Pediatrics, or Psychiatric).
Applicants must be strong communicators and effective classroom facilitators who enjoy teaching in a student-centered environment.
Candidates committed to working in a culturally competent environment are especially valued at Oakton. Cultural competence integrates and transforms knowledge about individuals and groups of people into specific standards, policies, practices, and attitudes used in appropriate cultural settings to increase the quality of services provided.
Applicants should be current and skilled in their use of evolving technologies, active in promoting critical thinking, and committed to challenging our students to be knowledgeable, ethical, and capable global citizens. Oakton is seeking enthusiastic faculty who are committed to innovation in college-level teaching and learning, and interested in non-traditional delivery of instruction. The College expects full time faculty to be professionally competent, have strong leadership qualities, participate in professional development activities, and to engage in institutional and departmental service. Computer proficiency is required. The individuals hired will be available to teach in the evening and/or on weekends.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Construction of a course syllabus, consistent with the generic course syllabus, that stipulates course objectives, content, and grading criteria,
- Preparation of course presentations and instructional materials, for lecture, and laboratory and clinical functions (as appropriate),
- Delivery of instruction, including being prepared for and meeting courses and laboratories (if appropriate) at scheduled times,
- Consultation with and evaluation of students,
- Maintenance of clear records on student performance, as well as any other factors, such as attendance involved with the grading of students,
- Compliance with departmental and institutional policies and procedures including but not limited to submission of midterm and final grades, keeping office hours, and decisions regarding instructional matters such as texts, assignments, grading standards, and adhering to provisions of the OCCFA contract,
- Participation and compliance with department decisions regarding instructional matters such as texts, assignments, and grading standards,
- Participation in department and/or institutional assessments of student learning,
- Participation in department and/or institutional surveys,
- Participation on appropriate standing and/or ad hoc committees within the position's assigned department and division,
- Participation in college-wide activities, such as a college-wide committee or task force, faculty governance, accreditation studies, student activities/clubs/organizations, planning and/or implementation of college-wide professional development activities, college-related external professional meetings and activities, planning and/or implementation of college-related social or fund-raising functions, and other college-related community activities mutually agreed upon by the Dean and the faculty member,
- Compliance with institutional procedures,
- Unencumbered current Illinois Registered Professional Nurse (RN) license
- Master's Degree in Nursing
- Minimum 2 years of pediatric direct-care clinical experience as a specialty, with medical surgical experience also
- Experience with college-level instructional technology or learning management systems required
- Excellent communication skills necessary
- Ability to interact well with variety of professional and non-professional staff in both the college and clinical settings
Preferred Qualifications (from the Minimum Qualifications for Oakton Faculty document)*:
- 2 years of classroom teaching, skills' instruction and students' clinical practicum supervision
- Experience teaching nursing students
- Participated in curriculum development or redesign desirable
- Adaptability to various clinical sites as the nursing department's clinical needs change
Additional Qualifications or Position Requirements Unique to This Search
- Occasional set-up and breakdown of skills' lab equipment as needed
- Willing to participate in, and learn to develop, nursing student simulations
- Participation in departmental and institutional service.
- Development and delivery of courses using learning management software (such as D2L or Blackboard).
- Demonstrated experience working with a culturally diverse student population.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a culturally diverse workforce.
- Understanding of and commitment to diversity and cultural competence.
Cultural Competency is defined as a composite awareness, emotional maturity, and insights and skills, including, but not limited to:
- Self-insight, ability to suspend judgment and take responsibility for one's self.
- Self control of emotions and demonstrations of empathy.
- Experience with and success in valuing and working with people of different gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, or other attributes.
- Adaptability and flexibility in understanding and addressing problems and opportunities in situations where different cultural perspectives and points of view are in play.
We encourage applications from candidates who reflect the increasing diversity of Oakton's student body and community, who will enhance and promote engagement with other cultures and have a demonstrated commitment to working with and as part of a multicultural faculty and diverse student body and community.
The full time faculty member's workload during the nine month academic year is 30 lecture hour equivalents (LHEs). The average teaching load is 15 LHEs in the Fall and Spring semesters.
The academic calendar consists of 169 working days; instructional days total 153 of the working days within the academic calendar. Four days are used for instruction, final student evaluations, or course culminating activities. Two days are designated for grading, and one day is associated with commencement which is assigned on a three year rotation. The remaining nine days are designated for professional development, course preparation, student orientation, assessment, advising, registration, and/or college or departmental activities.
The faculty member is expected to have a minimum of 10 regular office hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters.
The College expects full time faculty to participate in professional development activities and to engage in institutional and departmental service.
The hiring range for full time faculty is based on a 9 month, no overload contract. Additional pay is received for teaching overloads and summer assignments. The minimum salary in the hiring range for the 2018-19 academic year is $51,927 and the maximum is $63,463.
A comprehensive benefit package is available which includes medical, vision, and dental insurance; flexible spending; term life insurance; tuition waivers and reimbursement; retirement; paid holidays; sick days; sabbatical leave; and a four day summer work week.
Appointment to a faculty position is contingent upon approval by the College's Board of Trustees.
The anticipated start date for this position is Fall 2018.
To become an applicant, interested individuals must complete the online application linked from the posting found on the Oakton website. Electronic copies of a cover letter, resume/cv, list of three (3) references with contact information, two letters of recommendation and transcripts must be submitted by the applicant via uploading to the Oakton employment website. Please indicate the position code (NUR2-18) on the cover letter. Uploaded documents need to be under 2 MB in size and in either .doc, .txt, or .pdf format. A total of 8 separate documents may be uploaded to an application file that has been successfully submitted to the College.
An UNOFFICIAL copy of transcripts must be submitted at the time of application by the applicant.
Recommendation letters may either be original documents with signature or e-mailed from the reference to [email protected] Official transcripts or a placement/credential file should be e-mailed to [email protected] Official transcripts or placement/credential files sent by postal mail should be sent to:
Oakton Community College
Nursing faculty (NUR2-18)
c/o Human Resources Department
1600 East Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016
***Official transcripts for all degrees earned are required prior to appointment.***
Please contact Matthew Robitaille, Employment Coordinator at 847.635.1868 or [email protected] if you encounter any difficulties with electronic submission of these documents.
Nursing Faculty Instructor, Nursing Instructor
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.
Interviewees will be reimbursed for expenses associated with travel in excess of 50 miles to the interviews.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.