Assistant/Associate Dean of Advancement - Carle Illinois College of Medicine (A1800167)
Assistant/Associate Dean of Advancement
Carle Illinois College of Medicine and
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Carle Illinois College of Medicine and the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement (OVCIA) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seek a full-time Assistant/Associate Dean for Advancement to serve as its Chief Advancement Officer. The Assistant/Associate Dean will build and provide the strategic leadership of a comprehensive advancement program for the College. In partnership, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Illinois) and Carle Health System have embarked on a truly unique and exciting endeavor by creating the nation's first college of medicine specifically designed at the intersection of engineering and medicine (medicine.illinois.edu). The formation of this new privately-funded college at Illinois in partnership with Carle is a pivotal event in the university's history and will have a profound effect on the campus, the local and regional community, the state of Illinois, the nation at large, and our global population.
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is a comprehensive research-intensive university ranked amongst the top of U.S. public institutions. The college will integrate the university's unparalleled assets in engineering, technology and supercomputing with Carle's nationally recognized, comprehensive healthcare system to solve society's most pressing health challenges.
Over the last two years Illinois has made major investments in both big data and bioengineering with support from the $100 million Grainger Engineering Breakthroughs Initiative. Carle Health System, the clinical partner in the college, is a nationally recognized leader in high-quality, cost-effective and coordinated patient care. Carle is also the primary investor in the new college - with a pledge of $100 million in the first 10 years.
The College of Medicine is a comprehensive campus priority. The college is expected to accept its first class of students in 2018.
Working collaboratively with colleagues across the institutions, the Asst/Assoc Dean will lead comprehensive fundraising for individual, corporate and foundation giving, and coordinate all stewardship efforts. The successful candidate will craft and execute plans to meet the annual fundraising and engagement objectives as determined by the campus and the College. Serving as a member of the Dean's leadership team, the Asst/Assoc Dean for Advancement reports jointly to the Dean of the College and to the Assistant/Associate Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide vision, imagination and significant demonstrated fundraising and campaign experience in an environment of high expectations and accountability. Plan and implement a comprehensive advancement strategy for the new College.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit major donors; creating, coordinating and writing funding proposals directed at individuals, corporations and foundations; and designing and implementing campaigns for specific needs within the College.
- Establish and maintain a personal portfolio of transformational gift prospects; maintain a significant travel schedule throughout the United States to meet with alumni, stakeholders, corporate and foundation executives.
- Build and maintain productive working relationships with department heads, faculty and administrators throughout the Carle Illinois College of Medicine, the College of Engineering and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences in order to thoroughly understand their programs and priorities.
- Provide strategic direction and input into the messaging of key College communications to various internal and external stakeholder audiences. Work with college staff on engagement and event opportunities and stewardship.
- Partner with the Dean to plan and implement strategic visits. Facilitate the Dean's engagement with a portfolio of the College's most important major donors and prospects. Regularly travel with the Dean as necessary.
- Lead campaign planning for the College. Prepare volunteers to participate in cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major gifts and campaigns as needed.
- Work collaboratively with other development officers across the university to devise strategies for all aspects of donor cultivation and stewardship. Facilitate effective collaborative relationships with the Carle Center for Philanthropy, the Office of Institutional Advancement, the University of Illinois Foundation and other campus advancement offices.
- A minimum of a bachelor's degree, with a master's degree preferred.
- For the Assistant Dean title, a minimum of seven years of successful experience in development, preferably at a major research university
- For the Associate Dean title, a minimum of ten years of successful experience in development, preferably at a major research university
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build successful long-term relationships in a professional work environment.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Experience in positions or organizations that supported $100M+ campaigns
- Experience in an academic medical center
- Demonstrated track record of cultivating and securing 7-figure and larger outright and deferred gift commitments
Competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To ensure full consideration, application materials must be received by April 10, 2018. Please complete your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of application, resume and the names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Brenda Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org. The proposed starting date is as soon as possible after the closing date.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Carle Illinois College of Medicine
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Assistant/Associate Dean of Advancement - Carle Illinois College of Medicine (A1800167)
Open Date: 03/13/2018
Organization Name: Ofc VC Inst Advancement