Risk Management: Paralegal
Job ID 14017
Location UW Eau Claire;Eau Claire, WI
Full/Part Time Part-Time
POSITION: A full-time university staff position is available in Loss Prevention and Safety beginning as soon as possible. The working title for this assignment is Paralegal with an official title of Legal Support Staff - Confidential. This is a limited term 50% appointment (20-30 hours per week) expected to last until December 31, 2018. The expected hourly hiring salary will be $15.70 per hour and is based on qualifications and experience.
- Associate degree in Paralegal and 1 – 3 years’ work experience as a paralegal or legal assistant
- Knowledge of legal principles, practices, and research techniques
- Computer database software and Microsoft Office knowledge and experience
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations
- Bachelor’s degree or ABA –accredited certification
- Experience in contract writing and negotiating skills
- Experience in Higher Education
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness
DUTIES: This position reporting to the Director, Risk management or designee, is part of the Risk Management & Safety Department. The position responsibilities consist of:
- Reviewing business contracts, including, but not limited to, partnership agreements and purchasing contracts
- Researching and gathering of information for use in claims and other legal matters
- Ensuring compliance with Wisconsin Law, University Wisconsin System General Council, policies, and procedures
- Drafting and proofreading contracts, agreements, legal responses, and other legal documents to both internal and external sources
- Acting as the primary negotiator facilitating an agreement on terms for contracts from various departments
- Providing input to leadership based on System policy, applicable statutes, and case law.
- Maintaining, organizing, reporting, and analyzing information within the database and files
UNIVERSITY and EAU CLAIRE COMMUNITY: UW-Eau Claire, an institution of approximately 11,500 students and 1,400 faculty and staff, is consistently recognized as a top comprehensive university in the Midwest and is widely known as a leader in faculty-undergraduate research and study abroad. We strive for excellence in liberal education and select graduate and professional programs through commitment to teaching and learning and dedication to our core values of diversity, sustainability, leadership, and innovation. The City of Eau Claire, situated at the confluence of the Chippewa and Eau Claire rivers, is at the center of a metropolitan area of approximately 100,000 people located 90 miles east of Minneapolis/St. Paul. The area features beautiful parks and trails, strong public schools, a vibrant arts scene and local food culture, and abundant recreational opportunities.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Applications are submitted electronically. Please follow instructions found on the following UW-Eau Claire Web site: http://www.uwec.edu/Employment/uweccareers.htm. You must create an account and login before you can apply. If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login." Click the link to the Paralegal position (Job ID # 14017) and then click the "Apply Now" button to submit your application electronically. Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed. Please be sure you have included the following in PDF format:
- Letter of application
- Names and contact information for three references.
Please direct requests for additional information to:
Diane Hunter; [email protected]
To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by 4:00 pm on 2/23/18. However, screening may continue until position is filled. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process. A criminal background check is required prior to employment.
The UW-Eau Claire Police Department is dedicated to maintaining a safe and secure environment for learning and working. Although crime at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is limited, the University Police want students, faculty and staff to be aware of crime on campus and the area surrounding the campus. The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act is a federal law that requires colleges and universities to disclose annual information about campus crime. Visit Campus Security and Fire Report (https://www.uwec.edu/human-resources/employment-opportunities/job-penings/upload/AnnualSecurityandFireReport-2.pdf) . Also visit our Campus Security Authority policy (https://www.uwec.edu/human-resources/employment-opportunities/job-openings/upload/CleryCompliancePolicy.pdf)
UW-Eau Claire is an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disability employer dedicated to enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.