Director for Business and Alternative Law Careers
The University of Colorado Law School is now accepting applications for the Director for Business and Alternative Law Careers. The primary duties and responsibilities of this Director are to help students and alumni find employment and help employers find the right match among our students and alumni.
This Director will take the lead of a small, highly engaged team in counseling students about traditional legal opportunities in businesses other than law firms, and employment opportunities that go beyond the traditional legal jobs pursued by law students, including positions where a law degree and the analytical skills and training that law school provides, though not required, are a distinct advantage (for example, contract management, licensing administration, trust management, transaction management, real estate development). The work of this Director will also include, in consultation with the Assistant Dean, outreach to employers in those sectors.
This Director also will have assigned responsibility for a certain number of students, and will advise students about careers in all legal and non-legal settings when appropriate for the needs of individual students.
Who we are:
The Career Development Office for the University of Colorado Law School contributes to the campus community by serving as the center of law student and law alumni career-related activity. The changing job market for law school graduates has created new challenges and opportunities for this office. The primary purpose of the office is to facilitate employment of law students. Additional purposes are to educate students about the breadth of career opportunities for which a law degree prepares students and the most successful strategies for pursuing such opportunities, to support the strategic career development of students and alumni through counseling, workshops and programs, and to enhance the reputation of the school and its students. The Director reports to the Assistant Dean for Career Development.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Provide strategic one-on-one and group career advising and assistance to students and alumni.
- Create action plans with students and follow up with students, as needed.
- Work with individual students to develop job search strategies.
- Review and critique resumes, cover letters, and other student-created documents; conduct mock interviews.
- Continually work to cultivate student interest in pursuing and success in obtaining employment with businesses and/or in positions where a law degree and the analytical skills and training that law school provides, though not required, are a distinct advantage (for example, contract management, licensing administration, trust management, transaction management, real estate development).
- Related duties will include continually working to cultivate student interest in pursuing and success in obtaining business and alternative careers through systematic and individual student outreach; and advising students on the opportunities.
- Conduct ongoing employer outreach and establish strong professional relationships with employers.
- Promote students to employers; cultivate contacts among employers and provide students with contacts for formal and informational interviews.
- Solicit job opportunities for postings on CDOnline (Symplicity) from employers and, as often as possible, match students and employers.
- Maintain continuous contact with students and alumni regarding employment opportunities.
- Attend meetings, receptions, and other networking events related to areas of responsibility.
- Use these events as opportunities to network and promote our students and alumni.
- Assist the Career Development Office in preparing career-development-related materials.
- Schedule or facilitate career-development-related programs, workshops and networking receptions.
- Stay abreast of developments in the current legal employment market and the legal profession.
- Specific events will include the annual fall What I Wish I Knew Before Law School program.
Data Collection and Other Responsibilities
- Actively participate in contacting recent graduates to compile and report graduate employment statistics.
- Work with the Assistant Dean and other staff to complete such career-related surveys as U.S. News & World Report, the Princeton Review, and NALP's annual law school survey.
- Maintain information regarding the current employment status of students.
- Respond to inquiries from prospective students as requested by the Admissions Office.
- Provide assistance to Office colleagues in their primary responsibilities, as needed.
- Assist with maintaining the online database of employment opportunities.
Assume additional responsibilities as directed by the Assistant Dean of Career Development.
What we can offer:
The salary range for this position is $53,000.00 - 56,000.00 commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be engaged. Be visionary. Be impactful. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- At least two years of combined experience in legal practice and career counseling.
What you will need:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong organizational and project management skills.
- Must take an energetic and creative approach to identifying employment options that are available for students and alumni, and be enthusiastic about facilitating individual introductions of students to potential employers.
- Must understand how to motivate and prepare students for the job search and how to promote students to potential employers.
- Demonstrated energy, initiative, professionalism, attention to detail, ability to follow through, positive attitude, ability to work in a fast-paced environment, and an understanding of the critical importance of confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently and with numerous diverse constituencies.
- History of, and enthusiasm for, working collaboratively with others to help all students find jobs.
- Excellent interpersonal, career counseling, and programming skills.
- The intellectual firepower and curiosity necessary to interact effectively with seasoned experts in a wide variety of areas.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Flexible and open to change and new ideas.
- Computer skills, particularly familiarity with and knowledge of web-based legal career research systems, social media, and ways of leveraging technology to be as efficient and effective as possible.
What we'd like you to have:
- A record of successfully counseling and marketing law students and/or lawyers, and knowledge of effective job search strategies for law students in the current job market, are strongly preferred.
- A network of connections in Colorado and elsewhere that can be accessed to assist students in finding employment.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by April 1, 2018.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at [email protected]. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-12856.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Student Services
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10352 - School of Law
Posting Date: Mar 13, 2018
Closing Date: Apr 1, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00003262