*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine | Office of Student Life, Admissions
Admissions Professional (Academic Services Professional)
Position #731870 - Requisition 12853
The Office of Student Life, Admissions has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Admissions Professional (Academic Services Professional) position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for an Admissions Professional. This full-time, University Staff (non-classified) position, housed in the School of Medicine's Office of Student Life, is responsible for managing the complex and varied admissions process for the MD Program within the University of Colorado's School of Medicine (CUSOM). This includes providing assistance and guidance to applicants, supporting the Assistant Dean of Admissions, reviewing and assisting with admission decisions, developing and overseeing advertising efforts, and managing the admissions database for the MD Program. Additionally, this position will serve as liaison between the School of Medicine, the Association of American Medical Colleges (a national organization), and its standardized online medical school application process (AMCAS®). This role will also, under the direction of the Assistant Dean of Admissions or their designee, be expected to assist in the growth and development of the Office as an essential team member.
Examples of Work Performed:
Managing Student Application Systems - 30%:
- Using judgment and decision-making, position will establish the process for implementing the application software and managing applicant status for the MD, and post-baccalaureate programs. This will require collaboration with Educational Technology office, problem solving, determining solutions, and communicating changes as issues arise.
- This position will proactively seek out information on all program changes and policies and regulations at all levels, from institutional to university to national.
- The incumbent will use judgment and decision making to educate applicants about admissions process and provide information to applicants and pre-med advisors regarding prerequisites.
- Working with the Assistant Dean and the Committee, position will help to evaluate, select and implement new applications, in an efficient and effective manner.
- Develop and maintain process to submit, track and report applicant information.
- By adhering to accreditation and grant requirements (as needed), manage relationships with other related programs such as the post-baccalaureate program, the BA/BS MD program, the WICHE program and military applicants, providing support and information as needed.
- Serve as the university's liaison to AMCAS in the AAMC to ensure the institution's compliance with national admissions policies.
- Analyze transcripts to ensure accepted applicants meet prerequisite requirements.
- Be able to take questions from applicants and their advisors and decide whether to answer the questions or to refer the questions to another source in the office.
- Develop processes and procedures and audit databases (Microsoft Access, the AMCAS, and the university's student information system) to ensure data is current and readily available for Assistant Dean of Admissions, Associate Dean of Student Life, and the Admissions committee.
Facilitate Admissions Process - 30%:
- With concurrence of Student Life leadership and following set principals and guidelines to allow the committee and the leadership to facilitate the process of selecting applicants for interview.
- Provide support for Assistant Dean of Admissions, Director of the Office of Student Life, and Associate Dean of Student Life ensuring a smooth application and matriculation process.
- Serve as a first-line contact with applicants; providing support, information, and triage complex issues to leadership appropriately.
- Manage and coordinate all data for Admissions Committee Meetings including scheduling of meetings, disseminating appropriate materials in a timely manner, track applicant scoring and status changes, including the ranking of applicants.
- Coordinate scheduling Admissions Committee Meetings with Admissions Committee Members and the Office of Student Life.
- Maintains and verifies applicant files and ensure that all data are consistent with both internal and external databases. As deemed appropriate, create letter drafts for leadership to communicate with applicants and other constituents. This includes a necessity for technical skills in Microsoft Office and experience with mail merge and other functions to ensure accurate and timely communication to thousands of applicants throughout the admissions process.
- Advises applicants throughout the admissions season, including communication by phone, email and form letters.
- Provide technologically innovative ideas to streamline and improve admissions related processes.
- Using judgment and knowledge of policies and procedures, position provides applicants basic recommendations for improving their application or correcting deficiencies, and based upon results, schedules sessions with the Director, Office of Student Life and/or Assistant Dean, Admissions and applicant for providing specific information and/or assistance in improving applications.
Managing Admissions Data - 30%:
- Collaborate with Director, Office of Student Life, Assistant Dean of Admissions, Associate Dean of Student Life, the Admissions Committee, and Educational Technology office to implement technical requirements of AMCAS, and all software programs developed and/or implemented to assist with the admissions process.
- Evaluate, select and administer internal and external programs linking applicants' application to applicant database.
- Ensure data needed by Assistant Dean of Admissions and Associate Dean of Student Life is current, accurate and in the correct format.
- Be knowledgeable of the technical infrastructure of the AMCAS and monitor AMCAS applications.
- Ensure integrity of data and apply knowledge of policies and procedures to manage requests for data from external and internal constituents.
- Prepare data for import into the CU-SIS system to ensure applicants are active students prior to matriculation.
- Manage student confidential admissions data and ensure FERPA compliance with the admissions process
- Being aware of software and/or database changes is imperative for managing a high volume of applications.
General Office Support - 10%:
- Develop cooperation and teamwork while participating in a group; working toward solutions which generally benefit all involved parties.
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Dean of Admissions
- This position will need to work closely with other staff members, including those responsible for coordinating events, curricular activities, evaluation activities and the Educational Technology office to ensure all programs in the Education Office are appropriately staffed and run smoothly.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position has been established at $35,000 - $45,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
A bachelor's degree in education, psychology, business, public administration, health care, educational technology, social science, liberal arts, communications, accounting, finance, library science, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
- Experience working with FERPA and managing highly confidential data.
- Two (2) or more years of admissions experience.
- Three (3) or more years of experience working with medical and/or graduate level students.
- Experience managing data using Access or similar database applications.
- Experience working with diverse constituents.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong judgement and decision making skills.
- Ability to solve problems, determine solutions, and communicate changes as issues arise.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills (i.e. Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Ability to ensure accurate and timely communications are sent out to thousands of applicants throughout the admissions process.
- Knowledge of the technical infrastructure of the AMCAS process and ability to monitor all incoming AMCAS applications.
- Ability to apply knowledge of policies and procedures in order to manage requests for data from external and internal constituents.
- Ability to develop cooperation and teamwork while participating in a group, as well as work toward solutions which generally benefit all involved parties.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Linh Nguyen at Linh.T.Nguyen@ucdenver.edu.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by April 2, 2018. Those who do not apply by April 2, 2018 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20038 - SOM-DEAN EO UME
Posting Date: Mar 13, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Linh Nguyen
Posting Contact Email: Linh.T.Nguyen@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00731870