Foot & Ankle/Podiatry Instructor
Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner
Department of Orthopedics, School of Medicine
The Department of Orthopedic Surgery at the University of Colorado in Denver is seeking a full-time exempt (non-hourly) Instructor-Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner. This is a unique opportunity to work in an academic and clinical Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery practice. The employee will work primarily in the Denver metropolitan area at University of Colorado Hospital and the new Stapleton Foot and Ankle Center. The position is not eligible for tenure.
Examples of Work Performed
This is a position requiring interest in Orthopedic Foot & Ankle care. The applicant must be self-directed, detail-oriented, and adaptable in a high-intensity environment. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required as well.
- Obtains detailed history and performs physical examinations on assigned patients; assesses and treats acute/chronic medical problems (focusing on the musculoskeletal system) and provides direct patient care to a specified patient population. Write prescriptions for medications, PT, OT, imaging studies, and DME as needed. Complete FMLA and other forms and school notes as needed.
- Assists in providing pre-op, intra-op and post-op care; writes appropriate orders, including those for narcotics and other scheduled drugs. There will be some casting, splinting, and dressing required.
- Performs emergency life saving procedures in cases such as cardiac arrest, respiratory arrest, massive hemorrhage, or similar emergencies. Occasionally provide fracture reductions in ER or office as needed, but not conscious sedation. Perform joint aspirations, injections and tendon sheath injections. Duties may include inpatient care, consultation and coverage in the emergency room.
- Notifies attending physician on call, house physician on call, or supervising physician regarding any unusual or unexpected events or problems requiring direct physician consultation.
- Practices safety, environmental, and/or infection control methods.
- Coordinates the activities of patient care and support staff within the clinic. Work with the team to ensure smooth operation of the clinic.
- Writes progress notes on patients' office and hospital charts indicating patient status and treatment procedures performed; maintains other records as required.
- Provides health education to patients and families; may train and supervise medical students, residents, fellows, mid-level students and other health professional students engaged in specific clinical activities.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings and workshops.
- Participate (attend, give talks, help organize) in educational programs including weekly academic conferences, journal clubs, etc.
- Will assist in community outreach events including giving educational talks, organizing, planning, and attending.
- Assist orthopedic surgeon in operating room setting on a limited basis.
- Help develop written educational materials and treatment protocols for specific conditions and post-operative care.
- Assist in preparing and giving power point and poster presentations for educational purposes at institutional, local and national meetings.
- May perform clinical research related to specific conditions and assist in preparation of manuscripts for publication.
- Must become proficient in documentation and use of the current electronic medical record program and be an available resource to other health care providers.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Flexibility required as the nature of the position will change over time as one gains knowledge and experience with orthopedic conditions. The expectation will be for gradually more independence in the office as confidence is gained.
- State of Colorado Certified Physician Assistant or Inclusion on the State of Colorado Advanced Practice Registry as an Advance Practice Nurse; Certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Certification; certification pending, as documented by temporary certificate.
- CPR Certified
- Experience preferred. Willing to train new grad with previous hospital/orthopedic experience or exceptional qualities
- Bachelor's degree in a related Technical, Scientific, or Engineering discipline
- 6 months to 1 year experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. Some positions may also require a motor vehicle records check.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/careers Review of applications will begin March 19, 2018, and will continue until the position is filled. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. Letters of reference (optional) Questions should be directed to Kelly.Wright@ucdenver.edu
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20259 - SOM-Orthopedics
Posting Date: Mar 13, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kelly Wright
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00744177