Content and Communications Specialist for Research Office
This position works with the Research Support Office (RSO) and the six Interdisciplinary Research Themes (IRTs) within the College of Engineering and Applied Science to create, manage, and coordinate internal and external communications, using both new and traditional media. As a member of the college communications team, the position coordinates with college and university communications specialists to produce consistent and coordinated messages in compliance with college and university branding guidelines and supports other college and departmental communications needs as time allows. The position will work with scientific and/or highly technical content and provide high-quality, creative analytical services for college and IRT communications processes. Proof of eligibility to work in the United States must be produced within three (3) days of hire.
Who we are:
Our goal is to increase proposal success rates and to help establish and grow high-impact research programs. That goal includesearly-stage planning, developing competitive proposals, executing awards successfully and communicating research successes to the broader public.
The Research Support Office partners with other campus offices to help faculty navigate the CU Boulder research enterprise. We help junior faculty connect with key stakeholders and secure early career and young investigator funding. We also provide comprehensive support for research proposals that are large, collaborative (more than $1M annual funding) and/or strategically significant to the College of Engineering and Applied Science.
The college communications team provides high-quality communications services to advance the college's reputation and mission.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Marketing and Technical Communications
- Work with the RSO, IRT directors and other faculty and staff in the college to plan, design, write, edit and produce communications that exemplify the college's research mission.
- Proactively gather information from faculty and students to support communications and public relations efforts.
- Regularly attend RSO, IRT and communications meetings.
- Collaborate with college graphic designer to develop a design concept to meet marketing and communications goals, researches printing costs, gathers information and writes or edits content in conjunction with the "client," implements the design and layout, proofreads, and manages final production by the printer.
- Pitch stories to media when appropriate.
Electronic and Social Media
- Make updates to the college's IRT and departmental websites relating to our research mission.
- Develop electronic newsletters and invitations.
- Assist faculty and programs with their websites, including consulting, training, and possible webpage development.
- Develop multimedia enhancements for the departmental web and college social networking sites; oversee social networking presence to meet strategic communication goals.
- Write news articles and press releases and publishes them on college and departmental websites.
- Monitor college, university and industry news and social media for relevant department and alumni news.
Advancement and Research and Innovation Office Relations
- Liaise with Advancement, the Research and Innovation Office, and the Office of Industry Collaboration to keep them abreast of successful research initiatives and partnership opportunities.
- Contribute research stories for publication in CU Engineering magazine and the college alumni newsletter.
- Develop materials to support research activities and publicize events.
- Undertake other duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $46,000.00.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be innovative. Be strategic. Be effective. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in journalism, communication, public relations or marketing, or other relevant field.
- A combination of relevant education, training, and/or experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
What you will need:
- Strong organizational, prioritization, and time-management skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, prioritize and achieve key objectives.
- Ability to understand and integrate technical information from multiple organizations.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced and complex environment.
- Ability to adapt to changing situations and priorities.
- Excellent oral and written (narrative and presentation) communication skills.
- Ability to make decisions and to address and resolve issues.
- Ability to handle confidential information in an appropriate manner.
- Sensitivity to, and appreciation of, cultural, political and geographical differences-with ability to work well with faculty, staff and students from around the world.
What we'd like you to have:
- One-year of professional-level experience in journalism, communication, public relations or marketing in higher education environment.
- Experience with social media sites, such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Experience with database software, compiling statistics, developing and manipulating complex spreadsheets; experience with word processing and presentation software.
- Experience working with engineering students and faculty in a higher education environment.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by March 12, 2018.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-12819.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Communication
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10298 - College Engineering & App Sci
Posting Date: Mar 6, 2018
Closing Date: Mar 12, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00744223