Director of Donor Relations
University of Colorado Denver
Office of Advancement
Director of Donor Relations
Position #1242 - Requisition 12330
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Office of Advancement has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Director of Donor Relations position.
The University of Colorado Denver is a public research university serving more than 14,000 students. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 100 highly rated degree programs through eight schools and colleges. In the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers-CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
Located in the heart of downtown, CU Denver provides a vibrant, urban research university experience, with academic programs ranging from the liberal arts and sciences to global energy management, music industry studies and criminal justice among eight schools and colleges. The classroom extends into the city as students study, network and build careers in the surrounding business district. CU Denver unites quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, civic consciousness and driven students-all in the lively setting of downtown Denver. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here.
The Director of Donor Relations is responsible for designing, implementing and coordinating an institution-wide comprehensive donor relations and stewardship system that appropriately and consistently promotes interaction with and recognition of donors at all levels.
In addition, the position must facilitate positive and mutually-rewarding relations between the University and its donors; promote consistent and productive engagement with donors; partner with Development Directors to determine the best strategies for effective stewardship of major donors; partner with annual giving staff on implementing strategies for effective stewardship of annual donors; maintain ongoing and active networking with internal and external constituencies; plan and implement donor recognition events; facilitate activities for donor societies; and oversee other forms of donor recognition.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Designs, documents, and implements a systematic and integrated donor relations program that may encompass gift agreements; personalized donor impact reports; donor recognition activities, awards, and events; donor communications; endowed position installations; and naming dedications.
- Proactively supports the stewardship responsibilities of the Advancement staff by assisting them in establishing and coordinating individualized stewardship plans for donors to their colleges/units, and ensuring appropriate follow-through. Facilitates opportunities for effective donor engagement with university personnel and programs. Partners with faculty and staff to ensure that philanthropic support is utilized in accordance with donor intent.
- Devises and utilizes consistent, accurate, and appropriate information-sharing mechanisms for stewarding prospects and donors.
- Develops and assesses policies and procedures across the university that are essential for a comprehensive donor relations program in enhancing donor relationships with the university and increasing the likelihood of continued contributions.
- Recommends and facilitates on- and off-campus publicity of major gifts and donors in conjunction with Advancement Communications and University Communications. Advises on and facilitates the recognition of donors in both print and web-based publications. Contributes donor and gift information for university and CU Foundation publications.
- Coordinates with the CU Foundation and CU System Advancement teams to ensure appropriate recognition in the Benson Society and other system wide recognition platforms where applicable.
- Serves as a campus contact for major donors, helping to resolve problems, questions, and concerns.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring range for this position has been established at $65,000 to $89,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- 5-7 years of experience in development at an institution of higher education or a comparably complex organization.
- 5-7 years of experience in donor relations at an institution of higher education or a comparably complex organization.
- Professional experience with establishing and coordinating stewardship plans.
- Professional experience partnering and networking with internal and external constituencies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Knowledge and ability to proactively create, execute and/or support, and oversee a comprehensive campus-wide donor acknowledgement and recognition plan, including developing and advising on complex and carefully orchestrated stewardship activities, events, and programs for the university's major donors.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- Ability to think strategically about donor engagement and generate creative solutions for stewarding donors in order to advance the University's efforts to maintain and strengthen high-quality individual relationships with donors.
- Excellent social skills, with large groups as well as with individuals, and experience in a proactive, service-oriented position working closely with organizational leaders, high-level donors, and other VIPs.
- Ability to manage multi-phase projects from inception to completion, to build consensus among team members, to balance multiple concurrent priorities, and to work independently and as part of a team.
- Detail-oriented, well organized, focused and goal-oriented, with a high level of initiative and energy, and adept at problem solving and using judgment in situations requiring independent initiative and tact.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Nickolas Chabot-Olson, [email protected]
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by February 2, 2018. Those who do not apply by February 2nd may or may not be considered.
Job Category: External Relations
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30228 - ADM-CHAN Foundation Denver
Posting Date: Jan 12, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Nickolas.Chabot-Olson
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00001242