Head of the Fabrication Group
Requisition # 2018-8390
Department PPPL Engineering and Infrastrc
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Princeton University Plasma Physics Laboratory, a world-leading fusion energy research center under contract with the U. S. Department of Energy (DOE), invites applications for the Head of the Fabrication Group. Reporting to the Head of the Engineering Department, this role oversees a group which provides fabrication, assembly and installation resources to support the laboratory experiments, to carry out mechanical testing and to fabricate one-of-a-kind mechanical hardware. This role also ensures that fabrication and installation activities, in compliance with applicable PPPL and DOE regulations.
- Hire, assign, direct, train, coordinate and oversee the work of the engineers and technicians in the Fabrication Group.
- Manage experimental projects, e.g. NSTX-U Construction Manager:
- Coordinate, facilitate and provide oversight of all activities in and affecting the NSTX-U Test Cell and nearby areas during outages and maintenance periods.
- Ensure safety of personnel, the environment, and DOE investment.
- Plan preventative maintenance, keep inventory of spares, provide adequate tooling for perform outage and maintenance activities.
- Manage tasks and monitor costs to ensure compliance with plan.
- Determine required fiscal year operating budget to support activities based on overall NSTX-U annual plans (e.g. outage, operations, maintenance)
- Perform high level engineering
- Determine applicability and appropriateness of external standards, requirements and internal controls to the work of the Laboratory in area of expertise.
- Perform calculations; develop requirements and specifications in area of expertise.
- Perform or commission mechanical and electrical engineering design.
- Mentor less experienced engineers.
- Assure adherence to Environment Safety and Health requirements consistent with DOE orders and laboratory policy.
- Oversee Hoisting and Rigging/ Welding Programs.
- Oversee the laboratory contracts for Machining, Brazing and Testing Services.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in management of design, construction and maintenance of mechanical, electrical, and vacuum hardware.
- Licensed Professional Engineer.
- Experience in designing, procuring, installing and commissioning substantial systems in a nuclear fusion facility.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are, therefore, unable or limited in your ability to use or access this system, you can request a reasonable accommodation by calling a Human Resources team member at (609) 258-2101.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory requires some candidates to complete a physical capacity exam successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of physical capacity exam may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to Princeton University careers site.