Graduate Assistant - Cross Country and Track and Field
Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: The Athletics Department at Aurora University seeks applications for a Graduate Assistant for Cross Country and Track and Field. AU is an NCAA Division III program and a member of the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NACC). The Graduate Assistant Coach will assist the Cross Country Coach and Track and Field Coach in all aspects of the NCAA Division III Program. This predominantly includes: coaching at practices and meets, training of an event group during indoor and outdoor track season, and recruiting prospective student-athletes both on and off-campus. This is a hands-on coaching position that is aimed to provide the necessary experience for further advancement in coaching at the collegiate level. The Graduate Assistant will receive a tuition waiver and a stipend. The successful candidate must pursue a graduate degree while serving as a Graduate Assistant. For more information regarding admission to a graduate program at Aurora University: http://www.aurora.edu/admission/graduate/index.html. To apply, please email: Brandon Sturman (firstname.lastname@example.org) with cover letter, resume and three professional references.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Supports the Head Coach by carrying out assigned responsibilities.
- Assists Head Coach in organizing, preparing, and conducting practices, training, and competition.
- Recruits individual student-athletes or territories as directed by the Head Coach in accordance with NCAA rules and regulations.
- Provides technical support and training to athletes, as appropriate to the event area.
- Understands and follows NCAA and conference rules and regulations. Follows NCAA recruitment rules as outlined in Bylaw 13 in the NCAA Division Ill Manual. Reports any alleged violations of NCAA, conference, or institutional rules and regulations.
- Assists student-athletes and their parents in understanding the educational programs and opportunities at Aurora University as well as the opportunities in the athletic program. Answers questions to aid in the in understanding of NCAA Division Ill rules related to recruitment.
- Keeps informed of contemporary trends, tactics, techniques and strategies, which includes developing a philosophy of what to teach and how to implement.
- Assists in the planning, implementation and evaluation of practices as necessary.
- Maintains self-control and poise; provides an example of sportsmanlike conduct for team members, officials, opponents and spectators.
- Maintains professional relationships with student-athletes on the team in which they instruct.
- Assists as appropriate in planning and arranging team travel. Drives university or rental vehicles as needed for away contests.
- Assists with the academic monitoring of student-athletes.
- May perform administrative duties including maintaining equipment, monitoring budget, and initiating correspondence.
- Attends all required staff meetings.
- Performs special and/or additional duties as required by the Director of Athletics.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum of three years related experience with evidence of successful coaching, playing and/or recruiting experience in Track and Field and/or Cross Country.
- Experience coaching preferred.
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency with Excel and other Microsoft software
- Admission to the graduate program is required
- A valid driver's license and driving record which meets institutional requirements is required.
- Evening and weekend availability is required.
- Flexibility with an evolving work environment important
- Certification in CPR, first aid, and AED will be required after hire
- Physical ability to endure physically strenuous work-outs and physical exercise on a daily basis, including standing and/or walking for long periods, bending, stooping, lifting; manual dexterity; lifting of up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to move about campus and between locations.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
email@example.com - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.