Development Assistant, HR & Front Office
130 E. Randolph
20103 BSD-Dev Pr/Alum
About the Unit
Join the University of Chicago Medicine and Biological Sciences Development (MBSD) team during a time of exciting momentum under the leadership of seasoned, dedicated, and talented professionals. This is a unique career opportunity to work with a dynamic organization driving the visionary and fundraising themes for the University of Chicago Campaign: Inquiry and Impact. Of the $5B Campaign, $1.2B will support medicine and biological sciences in research, patient care, and education and training programs, including several transformational initiatives. MBSD's mission is to inspire and facilitate philanthropy at the University of Chicago Medicine by building relationships with those who share its goals of advancing excellence in research, education, community, and patient care. We accomplish this mission through expertise, integrity, creativity, and collaboration. Be part of a team of colleagues whose commitment and contributions enable success and global impact in a bold Campaign.
*Please read carefully. Applicants who do not submit all the required documents will not be considered further for this position
A member of the Operations team of seven, s/he collaborates with each member of the team to ensure all MBSD staff have the tools and resources needed to perform their jobs efficiently and effectively. S/he has excellent interpersonal skills to foster proactive relationships across MBSD and externally across a complex academic medical center.
- Manages the daily operation of the Front Desk, and leads in developing administrative goals and policies.
- As the first point of contact for all who enter the MSBD office, s/he greets, hosts, and assists donors, prospective donors, faculty members, volunteers, trustees, job candidates, and vendors, creating and fostering an excellent guest experiences.
- Manages incoming emails and telephone calls and takes the appropriate action for answering or resolving questions while providing the highest level of customer service. Responsible for overseeing the main MBSD telephone line, and providing auxiliary support for the Associate Director for the Vice President, and the Vice President.
- Manages the resolution of routine and complex inquiries, seeing each through to completion, while ensuring a positive outcome and maintaining the highest level of customer service.
- Reviews the contents of all incoming mail, is accountable for ensuring checks are processed by the appropriate MBSD delegate.
- Processes reimbursements for Operations Team and other MBSD teams as needed.
- Plans and coordinates office-wide events, including but not limited to celebrations, staff meetings, retreats, and other ad-hoc meetings and gatherings. In doing so, s/he is responsible for managing catering and coordinating room configuration, AV, and other logistics to ensure a seamless event.
- Supports the complex and varying recruiting needs of MBSD Human Resources. Including scheduling diverse and complex interviews and travel arrangements, including meetings that involve faculty members and executive level staff and candidates.
- Processes and manages Human Resources and personnel documents and records, and in doing so maintains the highest level of confidentiality.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communications skills characterized by the ability to write well with a strong commitment to customer service
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work well within a team of highly motivated individuals
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to learn and manipulate databases
- Excellent diplomatic skills
MBSD is a highly-productive, fast-paced and growing department. As such, this position requires an individual who is capable of keeping on top of routine day-to-day office operations as well as remaining flexible and able to handle new assignments as priorities shift.
- A Bachelor's degree is required.
- A minimum of two years of professional experience in administrative or office management is required.
- Resume and Cover Letter
(NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.)
Depends on Qualification
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/