Hyde Park Campus
About the Unit
Operating since 1927 on a strong foundation of multidisciplinary clinical and academic excellence, the University of Chicago Department of Surgery's mission is to meet the most challenging and complex health problems on both a local and global scale. Among the Department's numerous accomplishments, many of our faculty members are known for their contributions to the advancement of groundbreaking surgical procedures and techniques, including minimally invasive surgery. In addition to our department's clinical work, our scientists aggressively pursue a diverse range of basic, translational and clinical research projects, including studies on the gut microbiome, tissue bioengineering, stem cell research, cancer and immunotolerance. This ongoing work and achievement would not be possible without the cohesive effort and commitment of the faculty and staff. We are looking for high energy, collaborative individuals who share our commitment to improving the health of patients in the community and beyond.
- Under general supervision from the Section Administrator, the Business Administrator manages the daily operations of a small organizational unit. Represents the department on business affairs. May assist in developing and executing business plans.
- Leads and supports project and/or program development and implementation. Effectively interacts with both internal and external executives and staff, as well as consultants, to create project and/or program design and ensure the success of projects and initiatives. Coordinates logistics of major events, and assists in planning events. Prioritizes and manages multiple projects simultaneously and follows through on issues in a timely manner.
- Oversees management of day-to-day financial processes, payment of invoices, the purchase of goods and services, and the processing of reimbursements. Monitors and reconciles accounts. Researches, compiles and analyzes data to create reports, presentations, proposals and other documents, including, but not limited to operational, financial and monthly reports. Ensures compliance with relevant University policies and guidelines.
- Responsible for day-to-day office management. Develops and implements office procedures and policies. Develops and manages communications by assisting in creating and revising program materials, including brochures and website content under direction of Section Administrator. Manages physician and staff absences and responsible for coordinating gaps in coverage. Oversees and maintains the physical office space, ordering equipment, repairs and upgrades. Leads administrative staff by providing guidance and ensuring consistency and compliance on calendar, itinerary and other day-to-day administrative responsibilities. Provides coverage during gaps in administrative coverage due to absence, leaves of absence, vacancies, etc.
- Coordinates staff and faculty recruitment and on-boarding efforts. Conducts candidate phone screens, ensures seamless interview experience, solicits reference checks, and communicates/tracks on-boarding and training process. Coordinates the timely submission of credentialing and re-credentialing packets.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Familiarity with general business practices required.
- Commitment to providing a high level of service and working in a team environment required.
- High degree of professionalism required.
- Attention to detail required.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills required.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations and information with absolute discretion required.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and under tight deadlines required.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills required.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Master's degree in business, healthcare management, accounting, or a related field preferred.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible administrative experience required.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Healthcare experience preferred.
- Cover Letter
- Reference Contact Information
(NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.)
Depends on Qualification
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/