Program Mentor I, Business Management (Formerly Student Mentor)
WGU Student Mentors serve a critical advising and support role for student success. Student mentors do not teach courses, rather, they are their students' primary source of information about academic program operation, and about the policies and procedures of the university. Student mentors counsel their assigned students in understanding expectations and overcoming obstacles to ensure success. The student mentor is responsible for providing highly engaged, student centered support to a caseload of undergraduate or graduate students. Student mentoring requires significant contact via phone but also includes email, web camera interaction, and the potential for instant messaging and alternate forms of connection.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Building student relationships and provide curricular-informed mentoring.
- Assist students in their educational planning and progress from initial enrollment to graduation.
- Evaluate student learning styles, skills, deficiencies and goals; assist students in the development of Academic Action Plans; identify appropriate learning resources for them to use; and facilitate their use of those resources.
- Monitor student academic progress, communicating with each student weekly on a personalized basis; intervene as necessary to assist those students having difficulty, and complete required University reports on their academic status.
- Maintaining appropriate documentation of all academic transactions while utilizing Salesforce for tracking student contact, and reporting weekly to the program manager.
- Provide exceptional customer service by responding to emails and phone calls within 4 business hours with resolution of all service needs within 24 hours.
- Serve as the student’s advocate in resolving matters of academic difficulty, misunderstanding or confusion.
- We are seeking candidates who are willing to dedicate their time to the Student Mentor position as their only focus for the first year of employment with WGU.
- Strong customer service orientation and extraordinary communication skills.
- Technologically proficient, specifically with online programs, tracking and communication technology.
- Highly proficient Microsoft Office skills and strong Internet capabilities.
- Must be able to spend significant time working at a computer and on the telephone.
- A remarkable talent for organization.
- Must be able to communicate at a high level verbally and in writing.
- Excellent collaboration skills, ability to work as a member of a team.
- Position works from home in a full-time capacity, but must be available for travel in support of college requirements.
- A minimum of a master's degree in a business related field: MBA, MS Leadership and Management, MS Management, MBA- Human Resources or Masters in Human Resources, MPA.
- 3 years of related professional experience.
- 3 years of teaching experience highly desired, Higher Education teaching preferred.
WORK FROM HOME, United States