Director of the Quantitative and Computing Lab
This position is responsible for overseeing the new Quantitative and Computing Lab (QCL), which will serve as the transdisciplinary campus hub and comprehensive support center for students seeking assistance regarding quantitative issues across a broad spectrum including mathematics, computation, statistics, programming, and data analysis. The Director of the Quantitative and Computing Lab will be required to work in close cooperation with faculty and the Dean of the Faculty’s Office.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Dean of the Faculty, the Director of the Quantitative and Computing Lab works independently/collaboratively to perform the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Oversee the day-to-day activities and essential services of the QCL.
- Develop the full range of QCL activities, including programs and training workshops, in collaboration with the faculty advisory board.
- Provide periodic assessment and evaluation of the QCL’s activities and effectiveness.
- Responsible for hiring student fellows in cooperation with the faculty advisory board as well as training and supervising student fellows/tutors and advanced consultants.
- Responsible for ensuring the existence and quality of the regular curricular support and quantitative consulting services.
- Responsible for implementing and facilitating the QCL training workshops, in collaboration with student fellows and advanced consultants, throughout the academic year.
- Collaborate with student fellows and tutors as well as advanced consultants to ensure the QCL provides required support.
- Coordinate with the faculty advisory board and the Dean of the Faculty’s Office regarding QCL academic objectives and assessments.
- Provide occasional teaching after the QCL is fully established in addition to an active research support environment.
- Performs other essential duties and tasks specific to the position.
Bachelor’s degree in Mathematical Sciences or related field is required. An advanced degree in Mathematical Sciences or related field is highly desirable.
Experience should include broad familiarity with mathematics, statistics and scientific computing as well as possess teaching, research and administrative experience.
A valid driver’s license or equivalent means of reliable transportation to off-site meetings and events is required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: None.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES: Individual must possess knowledge, skills, and ability to be able to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions will be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge skills and abilities.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a higher education environment and in cooperation with a faculty advisory board on programming QCL’s activities and schedules.
- Ability to implement and facilitate programs and workshops.
- Ability to periodically assess and evaluate programs and workshops.
- Strong mathematical skills.
- Strong communication with excellent verbal, written, and leadership skills to supervise, facilitate, and motivate a highly diverse group of individuates including fellow students, advanced consultants, and other College staff and faculty.
- Strong organizational and time management skills to complete work with accuracy and oversee department activities.
REQUIRED HOURS: The regular hours for this full time position are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. Holiday, weekend and evening work hours may be required. Travel may be required. Regular hours may vary due to needs of the College or division. This is a 12-month position.
CLASSIFICATION AND STATUS:
This is an exempt position.
This is a regular, full-time position.
This is a benefits-eligible eligible position.
IPEDS Category Job Code: 11-0000 Executive/Administrative/Managerial
Physical Requirements: Light (up to 20 lbs.)
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Yes.
GROOMING AND APPEARANCE: The Claremont Colleges seek to maintain a neat and professional image at all times.
BACKGROUND CHECK: The successful candidate will be required to undergo a full consumer background check. Certain positions will require the successful completion of a post-offer physical agility test. Employment is contingent on the satisfactory results of the aforementioned, in addition to compliance with requirements cited in this job description.
ADA/OSHA: This job description defines the essential or fundamental job duties of this position. It is assumed that employees hired for this position can perform the essential functions of this job without imposing risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of themselves or others. It may also include marginal functions, generally defined within Title 1 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
DISCLAIMER: This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the College will review this job description and make changes of business necessity.