Assistant Director of Early College Programs (IAMS) R-0874
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Assistant Director for the International Academy of Mathematics and Science (IAMS) at Fort Hays State University (FHSU) is a full-time, 12-month position who reports to the Executive Director of Early College Programs. IAMS, established in 2017, is one of two early college programs at FHSU. IAMS provides gifted international students the opportunity to complete their final two years of high school by living on the FHSU campus and completing a rigorous STEM curriculum.
The position is responsible for assisting international students with enrollment, registration, academic advising, scheduling, and monitoring academic projects. The position regularly communicates with parents regarding student attendance, academic performance or other student related issues. The position also assists students with the college search and selection process.
- Master’s Degree
- Experience working with international students
- Valid driver’s license and a willingness to travel
- Experience with counseling and student advising
- Experience with college and career exploration
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to use and be proficient with Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Priority deadline is April 8, 2018. Review of applications will begin after the priority deadline and continue until the position is filled.
BENEFITS: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
In addition, the Assistant Director:
- Serves as guidance counselor & academic advisor.
- Coordinates orientation programs.
- Develops informational and cross-cultural programming designed to integrate international students into the FHSU community.
- Manages application materials and serves on selection committee.
- Develops, provides or makes referrals for academic counseling and tutoring when needed.
- Meets weekly with staff members to discuss action plans for each student who may be having difficulties.
- Provides information regarding national standardized testing (SAT, ACT, TOEFL, etc.).
- Coordinates academic competitions.
- Communicates openly and effectively with students, community, parents, staff, and administration.
- Coordinates referrals for career services, personal, emotional, and mental health services.
- Interprets and aligns IAMS curriculum with Kansas high school graduation requirements.
- Assists with the recruitment of international students.
- Represents IAMS on various university, state, and national committees.
- Scheduled on-call responsibilities may be required with this position.
- Performs duties as assigned by the Executive Director for Early College Programs.
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CAREERS. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Ann Noble email@example.com 785-628-5449
For more information about the International Academy of Mathematics and Science, please visit our website at www.fhsu.edu/iams.
ABOUT FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY:
Forward Thinking. World Ready - Fort Hays State University is a highly entrepreneurial teaching focused institution with major operations on-campus, online and in China. Providing a high-quality education at an affordable price, FHSU is ranked by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the top ten fastest growing universities in the U.S. It has an enrollment in excess of 14,000 students (Approximately 5,000 on campus, 3,500 in China, and over 6,000 online) and over 380 full time faculty. Bachelors, masters and professional doctoral degrees are offered through five colleges, the Graduate School, the Honors College, the Virtual College, and various international partnerships. Fort Hays State University's award-winning Virtual College coordinates distance education to the U.S. Armed Services and students in over 20 countries. The Virtual College has received many accolades, including U.S. News & World Report Online Programs rankings, GetEducated.com, Best Buys in Education, among others. Students at FHSU may select a major field of study from 30 departments. FHSU is fully accredited by several national agencies, and is one of six state-assisted institutions of higher education governed by a Board of Regents appointed by the governor of the state of Kansas. The website StateUniversity.com ranked the Fort Hays State campus as the safest in the state of Kansas.
The University has rich sports and cultural programming, all of which enjoy tremendous community support. The Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center is home to the Encore Series, which hosts many travelling Broadway shows, the Hays Symphony, university and other national and world-caliber performances. Fort Hays State University athletic events provide NCAA Division II athletic entertainment.
ABOUT HAYS, KS:
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant university community of approximately 22,000, located half way between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays has received numerous recent accolades such as being voted an All-American City, second best city in the state to raise children, and also the third best small college town in America. It is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas – serving a population of nearly 400,000. Hays boasts excellent recreational facilities including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, the Sternberg Museum of Natural History, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, an extensive recreational program, and excellent opportunities for walking, running, and biking. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes providing boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The community has award-winning public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, robust retail outlets, one of the lowest unemployment rates and commute times in the U.S., the city provides a safe, very friendly, low-cost, high-quality living environment.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.