Assistant Director, Axelson Center for Nonprofit Management
Department: Axelson Center for Nonprofit Management
Reports To: Director, Axelson Center for Nonprofit Management
Position Summary: Develops and implements all Axelson Center programs. Manages special events and programs; coordinates logistics with support of Center staff; provides operational and project oversight of the Conference. Serves as primary contact for custom program content and execution; works with Director on overall strategy; represents the Center at selected off-campus educational events. This position is part-time at an estimated 29 hours/week.
Manage program planning and logistics for all Center programs.
- Conference management
- Ensure the necessary research and planning of the Annual Conference (or other topical conferences including content development, speaker recruitment, volunteer recruitment, training, coordination; communication with speakers; conference preparation and setup; liaison with conference venue).
- Responsible for project management and operational oversight of the entire Annual Conference (including budget, pricing, work with the Conference Volunteer Planning Committee, coordination with all vendors). Ensure coordination with Center staff to plan and execute all aspects of Conference.
- Work with the Director of outreach to secure sponsors for Annual Conference. Handles sponsor follow-up and logistics.
- Program development/oversight
- Work with Director to plan annual workshop program content for 10-20 workshops annually – during fall and spring cycles. This includes research on topics and speakers, setting dates, and setting a budget and outcome goals with Director. Coordinates with other staff on speaker and workshop logistics.
- Manage the BootCamp program planning, and logistics, including outreach strategy, application process, speakers and evaluation for the program. In collaboration with Director, planning a budget and setting fundraising goals to strive for financial sustainability.
- Manage the custom program initiative (including proposal development, program design, identifying topic experts, oversight of implementation, and ensuring appropriate revenue stream).
Assist with Center strategy and management
- Work with Center Director on overall planning and execution of Center strategic direction.
- Work with the Director to plan resource development to support strategic direction and new programs.
- Serve as liaison with external vendors related to programs (including Conference). Some of this responsibility is shared with other staff members.
- Help provide the resource support for North Park faculty, staff, and students who seek information on nonprofit programs, nonprofit sector.
- Represent the Center as needed at local nonprofit events.
- Serve as an effective advocate on behalf of North Park University as a whole.
- Master’s degree (nonprofit management) preferred.
- At least five years of professional experience in the nonprofit sector required.
- Deep knowledge of nonprofit organizations and nonprofit sector trends.
- Knowledge/experience in event planning and conference management.
- Demonstrated experience in building relationships – across organizational levels and with varying constituencies.
- Personal commitment to North Park University’s mission of Christian higher education.
- Commitment to Axelson Center values excellence, multicultural; collaborative; adaptive; ethical; and environmental responsibility.
- Superb organizational and planning skills, especially with event planning, logistics and project management.
- Stellar written and oral communication skills.
- Independent thinker, problem-solver.
- Exemplary customer service skills.
- Technologically-savvy (familiarity with CRM database programs, Microsoft Word, Excel).
- Comfortable working in a team environment.
- Ability to relate in a positive manner with a variety of personality types.
- Ability to maintain composure in a fast-paced working environment and focus on targeted priorities.
- Excels at and enjoys executing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Adaptable and flexible—willing to go the extra mile to get the job done.
- Willing and able to occasionally work beyond the traditional hours.
- The job periodically requires the ability to lift boxes, walk up stairs, drive.
NOTE: Nothing in this job description restricts the supervisor’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.