Academic Advisor and Retention Specialist - Department of Computer Information Systems and Business
The academic advisor and retention specialist (herein after referred to as the advisor) reports to the Department of Computer Information Systems and Business Analytics (CIS&BA) Chair. The advisor participates in relevant academic advising activities at the University. This position will be responsible for academic advising and retention for students majoring in a degree offered through the CIS&BA Department. The University is particularly interested in applicants who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for under-represented groups.
Metropolitan State University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer.
Academic Advisor and Retention Specialist - Department of Computer Information Systems and Business Analytics
Salary for Announcement
Commensurate with education and experience.
College of Business-Office
Full Time Administrators
The primary responsibility are to provide informed guidance and accurate information in the most efficient, accessible, and comprehensive manner possible to assist students in reaching their educational, life and career goals.
50% - Academic Advising
- Assist with course selection, scheduling and registration.
- Help with long-term degree planning.
- Refer students to appropriate University resources.
- Provide basic information related to career planning, financial aid, admissions and other applicable information related to student needs.
- Teach students about advising based systems and how to best utilize them for success (e.g. Degree Progress Reports, Student Hub, Student Success Collaborative-Guide and Campus, etc…)
- Maintain confidential student files as well as documenting all advising sessions using Banner Student Success Collaborative (SSC) program.
25% - Retention
- Design and/or implement appropriate interventions for student retention.
- Documenting and reporting on student progress.
- Participate in University-wide and College outreach campaigns (e.g. registration, high risk students, early alert. etc.) and effectively document outreach efforts.
- Utilize advising based systems to track assigned students who are at risk of not returning to the University.
10% University and College Initiatives
- Participate in New Student Orientations (i.e. SOAR, Transfer, etc.)
- Work with the admissions office to identify newly admitted Department of CIS&BA majors and contact them regarding orientation, advising and registration.
10% - Training and Professional Development
- Remain up-to-date on advising systems and trends in developmental advising.
- Participate in advisor training sessions.
- Provide advising training for faculty and staff in the Department of CIS&BA
- Attend professional development opportunities.
5% - Other Duties as Assigned
- Bachelors degree
1. Two years experience in academic advising (or equivalent experience) at an accredited post-secondary institution.
2. Bachelor's Degree in a Business related field.
3. Experience working with diverse, urban and non-traditional student populations.
4. Work experience with one of the business college disciplines (Accounting, Computer Information Systems, Finance, Management, Marketing, Business Administration, International Business, Entrepreneurship)
5. Experience advising at an AACSB accredited school or college of business.
6. At least 1 year of Student Success Collaborative (SSC) experience or academic advising software.
7. Experience using SCT/Banner system or related student database system.
Close on Closing Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered as an applicant you must apply via the online application system, www.msudenverjobs.com.
References refers to a list of three professional references and their contact information.
Official transcripts will be required of the candidate selected for hire.
This posting will close at midnight MST on the closing date.