Academic Advisor- Department of Sociology (A1800164)
Department of Sociology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Sociology seeks applications for the position of Academic Advisor. We advise approximately 250 undergraduate majors and minors in the Department of Sociology. Under the direction of the Director of Undergraduate Studies, the advisor will advise undergraduate majors and minors on course and program requirements for both the Department of Sociology and the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advise Sociology majors on curricular requirements.
- Assist students with course selection and registration.
- Assist incoming freshmen and transfer students during summer orientation
- Review petitions for curriculum changes.
- Monitor student progress toward degree completion
- Advocate on behalf of students experiencing personal difficulties and refer them to appropriate campus resources
- Advise students on academic opportunities outside the department such as internships, courses, study abroad.
- Advise students on post-baccalaureate plans such as graduate or professional schools and careers.
- Use DARS, Banner, and UGradRecs to create and maintain files for all undergraduate students to record and track students' progress toward a degree and to determine when students need additional academic assistance in order to design individual support plans for students.
- Plan and assist with undergraduate student events, including orientation, convocation, and activity fairs.
- Represent the department at student activities.
Required: Bachelor's degree (preferable in Sociology or related field). Excellent interpersonal communication and written communication skills. Ability to work with minimal supervision. Preferred: A working knowledge of and experience with the academic and administrative system of UIUC (Experience with BANNER, DARS, UGRecs); experience with college level advising; familiarity with the organizational and pedagogical needs of the curriculum and the degree programs provided by the department.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This position is a 50% (20 hours per week), 12 month academic professional position with benefits. Eligibility for benefits are contingent on your citizenship or work authorization. For full details on eligibility requirements, please reference http://humanresources.illinois.edu/employees/new-hires/benefits.html .
This target start date is May 1, 2018, but is negotiable. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by March 26, 2018. To apply, create your candidate profile through the University of Illinois application login page at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your application materials: application letter, CV, and names and contact information for 3 professional references. Only electronic applications submitted through this system will be accepted. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Shari Day at [email protected]
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: LAS
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Academic Advisor- Department of Sociology (A1800164)
Open Date: 03/12/2018
Close Date: 03/26/2018
Organization Name: Sociology