Public Relations Specialist
About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College's campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves more than 15,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that 100** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2016. **Based on fall 2015 credit enrollment.
Requisition Number: 2018-030
Posting Start Date: 3/8/2018
Minimum Education: High School/GED
Additional Documentation: Transcripts May Be Submitted
Compensation: $32,664 - $40,521
Public Relations Specialist
- Assists in the development of public relations campaigns in order to promote College activities, special events and programs, and faculty/staff;
- Produces content, as requested, including media advisories, marquee messaging, press releases, bylined articles, employee newsletters, Q&A, fact sheets, PSA copy, internal/external calendar items, and other assigned communication materials by all associated deadlines;
- Conducts research in order to identify publications, trends and other relevant topics in order to place/pitch positive news stories about the College to national, regional, local, and trade media outlets/publications;
- Meets all associated project/departmental deadlines;
- Identifies and pursues institutional and individual award recognition opportunities for the College, faculty, staff, students, and alumni;
- Complies and maintains files and records of resource information concerning agency activities, programs and personnel;
- Handles incoming calls internal constituents in a timely manner (on pick-up or within one hour) and develops clear, candid, and accurate statements and/or background information (this does not include calls, emails, text messages with the external media);
- Reviews and updates media list; and develop/calculate the monthly media/social analytics report from Cision;
- Assists with special events, including set-up/break-down, live tweeting, and other assigned event logistics and/or promotional activities;
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
The work entails sitting for extended periods and frequently standing, walking, bending, stooping and reaching. Work requires eye-hand coordination, manual dexterity, near vision acuity, and the ability to see and read printed material and computer screens. Duties involve oral, written, electronic and telephonic communication; typing; and lifting and transporting supplies/materials. Off-site travel duties may require the operation of a motor vehicle.
High School Diploma.
Knowledge of public relations software Cision.
Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process should request the accommodation from The Office of Human Resources office by contacting us at 410.209.6055 or [email protected]
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.