Cyber Defense Infrastructure Engineer
Montgomery College is Maryland's premier community college, serving more than 60,000 students each year through credit and noncredit programs. We are dedicated to providing an exceptional education for all of our students, and we recognize that our faculty and staff are integral to our continued success. We give employees the environment, tools, and opportunities they need to make a difference.
Cyber Defense Infrastructure Engineer
Job Description Summary
Montgomery College, Central Services (CT) has need for a full-time, Cyber Defense Infrastructure Engineer, #S03893, in the Office of Information Technology. The normal work schedule is Monday-Friday 8:30a.m. to 5:00p.m.
Montgomery College is a public, fully accredited, open admission institution. Led by President DeRionne P. Pollard, Ph.D., MC is dedicated to student success and widely recognized for the quality and scope of its academic programs. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? The faculty and staff of MC are integral to our continued excellence. We are looking for dedicated professionals for opportunities throughout the College.
Under supervision and/or direction, incumbents are responsible for testing, implementing, deploying, maintaining, and administering the security infrastructure hardware and software. An incumbent also responds to and investigates security incidents, including external/internal attacks and internal violations of policy, as well as promotes security awareness via seminars, written materials and other media. Contacts and interacts with college wide constituencies such as direct interaction with campus administrative team, provost, deans, campus directors, faculty, students, assigned staff, vendors and contractors.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Under supervision and/or direction, the incumbent is responsible for testing, implementing, deploying, maintaining, and administering the security infrastructure hardware and software.
- Coordinate with Cyber Defense Analysts to manage and administer the updating of rules and signatures (e.g., firewalls, intrusion detection/protection systems, anti-virus, and content blacklists) for specialized cyber defense applications.
- Perform system administration on specialized cyber defense applications and systems (e.g., anti-virus, audit and remediation) Virtual Private Network (VPN) devices, load balancers and firewalls, to include installation, configuration, maintenance, backup and restoration.
- Assist in identifying, prioritizing, and coordinating the protection of critical cyber defense infrastructure and key resources.
- Build, install, configure, and test dedicated cyber defense hardware.
- Assist in assessing the impact of implementing and sustaining a dedicated cyber defense infrastructure.
- Administer test bed(s), and test and evaluate applications, hardware infrastructure, rules/signatures, access controls, and configurations of platforms managed by service provider(s).
- Create, edit, and manage network access control lists on specialized cyber defense systems (e.g., firewalls and intrusion prevention systems).
- Identify potential conflicts with implementation of any cyber defense tools (e.g., tool and signature testing and optimization).
- Coordinate with system users to troubleshoot issues related to cyber defense systems.
- Evaluate systems and services directly related to IT security and cyber defense systems.
- Participate on the Incident Response Team including investigating actual and/or potential IT security incidents and halt damaging activities where possible and; documenting findings and recommend corrective actions.
- Ability to perform work such as maintenance or incident response after normal business hours.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with course work in cybersecurity and computer science or a related field, and/or any combination of education, training, and experience providing understanding of the field and the ability to perform the duties of the job.
- Three years of working experience in various aspects of Information Technology as an analyst/programmer or similar professional level, including systems administration, networking and/or application development.
- Three years of working experience in cybersecurity as an analyst or engineer. Experience in: installing and maintaining commercial software products; incident handling/response, and disaster recovery planning.
- Experience and/or training in use of the networking equipment (switches, routers, etc.) used at the College.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Experience working remotely on sensitive systems.
- Vendor-specific training and certification for firewall, IDS/IPS, virus management, etc.
- Professional certification in information security - CISSP, CISA, SANS GSEC, etc.
To apply, please visit http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Participation in a retirement plan.
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.
Monday, March 26, 2018
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace
For disability-related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353
or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.
About UsI am proud of the work of Montgomery College. It is a remarkable organization, focused on student excellence, equity, and inclusion. We are intentionally building a college that takes responsibility for equitable outcomes and successful pathways for all of our students.
I am committed to hiring faculty, staff, and employees who embrace this vision-and who reflect the diversity of our college community. Our students come to us from more than 160 countries, joining a student body that reflects a changing America, rich in cultural and geographic difference. We are proud of our diversity and our excellence in academic affairs, student affairs, operations, and community advancement.
I am looking for bold, innovative, and courageous faculty and staff to join the outstanding employees of Montgomery College. Are you uncompromising in your focus on student success? Are you rigorous in your attention to equitable outcomes for all students? Do you embrace data, technology, and innovation? Can you stretch to meet the needs of today's and tomorrow's students?
We are truly a unique college. For 70 years, Montgomery College has been on the leading edge, and we intend to stay there. We believe deeply in the mission of community colleges, and we are committed to empowering our students to change their lives and to enrich the life of the community. We hold ourselves accountable for the results.
If any of this resonates with you, I welcome your consideration of the employment announcement below. Make your move-and I look forward to working with you at Montgomery College.
DeRionne P. Pollard, Ph.D.
President, Montgomery College
OC - Office of Info Tech Bldg