FSC Accounting Technician II (AT II)
The College of Arts and Sciences welcomes applications for an FSC Accounting Technician II. This position acts as the accounting specialist for multiple departments, programs, and centers within the College of Arts & Sciences. Responsibilities include assisting with general departmental financial management, processing expense reimbursements, administrating procurement card transactions and purchase orders, as well as participating in various special projects.
Who we are:
The College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Colorado Boulder is the intellectual core of the university, conducting research, scholarship, creative work and education in more than 60 fields. Our research generates new knowledge, solving some of the world's most critical problems.
The college leads nationally in undergraduate and graduate education in the natural sciences, social sciences and arts and humanities, bringing world-class research and scholarship to our students, both in and out of the classroom.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Act as accounting specialist for multiple departments, programs, and centers within the College of Arts & Sciences, working with supervision.
- Evaluate departmental needs and accounting practices.
- Identify issues and problems, conduct research, and then create/implement solutions based on the individual department needs.
- Create new/revised processes, forms and reports to be used by each assigned department, as well as, by the FSC organization and College of Arts & Sciences.
- Collaborate with faculty how to avoid such problems in the future.
- Interact with the A&S Budget Office, CCO, SPA, PSC, AP, Travel, and other campus organizations.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, university, and A&S policies and procedures.
- Apply the principles of internal controls including authorization, maintenance of documents, and segregation of duties.
- Enter journal entries, cash transfers, as needed to correct errors.
- Assist Managers with special projects pertaining to assigned departmental finances.
- Work with students and staff to obtain information, investigate/resolve problems, and advise individuals on financial matters.
- Train and mentor new FSC staff.
Expense Reimbursements and Vendor Payments
- Facilitate the expense reimbursement processes for assigned FSC departments.
- Instruct department employees on proper protocol for university-related business travel.
- Explain the process of reimbursing business-related expenses and to a vendor the process of paying invoices.
- Receive requests from departments to reimburse individuals for travel and general expenses, and to pay vendor invoices.
- Gather itemized receipts & other documentation as required by policy.
- Research issues; clarify policy.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, university, and college travel and business expense policies including the State Travel Guidelines, Propriety of Expenditures, Sensitive Expenditures, Official Functions, and project specific rules.
- Reimburse a traveler only for appropriate expenses, reallocate charges to appropriate FOPPS or processes funds owed by traveler to university for personal expenditures.
- Decide whether or not to escalate requests for reimbursement of questionable expenses.
- Prepare Expense reports or Payment Authorization as appropriate, distribute charges to appropriate FOPPS, and ensure timely reimbursement of expenses.
- Receive & distribute all reimbursement warrants if applicable.
- Document management as per campus and A&S policies and procedures.
Procurement Card Program Administration
- Collect receipts from cardholders, create expense reports, and reallocate charges to appropriate FOPPS.
- Help cardholders understand how to properly use the card and comply with PSC rules & regulations.
- Decide whether or not charges are appropriate per federal, state, university, college, department, or project restrictions.
- Decide whether or not to escalate questionable charges to higher-level decision makers (e.g. FSC Manger, A&S Budget Office Director, Campus Controller).
- Identify and investigate problems with lost/incomplete receipts, cardholder use violations, and vendor disputes.
- Establish new cardholder accounts and requests changes/closures by working closely with department staff, Chair/Director and Procurement card administration.
- Maintain records of purchases in accordance with policies and procedures set up by the PSC.
Procurement of goods and services via Purchase Orders, SPO and Payment Voucher
- Receive requests from FSC departments for purchasing of goods and services.
- Evaluate requests per federal, state, university & college policies, and then decide on the most appropriate means of purchase.
- Enter Purchase Requisitions and Payment voucher in CU Marketplace as per PSC and A&S policies and procedures.
- Request new and renewal of Standing Purchase Orders through the CU Marketplace, as appropriate.
- Authorize receiving of Purchase Orders, SPOs in CU Marketplace if required per PSC policy and A&S policies and procedures.
- Investigate and resolve problems related to receipt of goods and services by working with the PSC, faculty, department staff, and vendors.
- Ensure accuracy of charges.
- Maintain records of purchases in accordance with policies and procedures set up by the PSC for transactions processed by FSC.
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting annual salary for this position is $37,248.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be effective. Be informed. Be supportive. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Two years of technical accounting experience. SUBSTITUTION: college, university, or non-correspondence business school coursework which included eighteen (18) semester credit hours of accounting can substitute for up to one year of the required experience.
What you will need:
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Motivated, proactive, and self-starting
- Problem solving skills
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to follow departmental policies and guidelines
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
What we'd like you to have:
- 1 year of experience working in a professional office environment
- Experience using Concur Travel & Expense Reimbursement software
- Experience using Procurement software
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by March 11, 2018.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at [email protected]. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Click here to view Special Instructions and General Information for Veterans and Classified Staff positions.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
Must include date ranges and whether full time or part time work.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
3. DD-214 for veteran applicants.
4. If using the educational substitution for experience: proof of degree or transcripts.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-12691.
Please do not upload references at this time. Special instructions and information for Classified Staff positions: www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10155 - A&S Personnel
Posting Date: Feb 28, 2018
Closing Date: Mar 11, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00663962