Director of Media Relations and University Spokesperson
Requisition # 2018-8556
Category Communications and Public Relations
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Princeton University seeks an experienced communicator to become director of media relations and chief spokesperson, overseeing communications strategy and operations with respect to a variety of on-campus and off-campus media, and serving as the University's primary spokesperson. Princeton University is committed to the ideal of working in the service of the nation and humanity, and this position will be directly involved in shaping the communications efforts that support that vision.
The director should demonstrate highly developed levels of integrity, accuracy, diplomacy, intellect, diligence, discretion and communication and decision-making skills. The director should also have a proven record of on-the-record experience with media, crisis communications skills and a background in communications planning. The director keeps supervisors and other key campus members informed and solicits appropriate input before acting. The director employs excellent writing and editing skills, and speaks with confidence, poise and discretion to individuals and to groups in a variety of settings.
Working with other members of the Communications team and other campus officials and administrators in a highly collaborative setting, the director facilitates and seeks to shape media coverage of the University. The director coordinates a team that handles an extensive volume of media relations matters including but not limited to:
- serving as an official spokesperson and handling press inquiries;
- serving as a counselor on media relations issues to the University's president, the vice president for communications and public affairs, and other senior leadership;
- cultivating international, national, local and on-campus media relationships;
- overseeing the monitoring of media reports on the University, its students, faculty and staff;
- producing and distributing news releases and other pertinent media materials;
- coordinating media access to campus and providing media management for special events;
- providing strategic analysis and expert consultation, training and advice on University media relations, including advising faculty and staff on when and how to seek media placement and how to prepare for interviews;
- guiding staff in Communications and in other campus offices in their fulfillment of media relations roles;
- working with other Communications staff to advise campus clients on internal communications.
This position has night and weekend on-call duties.
A minimum of 7 years' experience in media affairs in a professional communications environment.
Strong on-the-record experience with print, digital and broadcast media.
Experience managing teams.
Experience counseling executive-level leaders on media-related issues.
Experience in crisis communications.
Excellent organizational skills: must be able to multitask; must be able to maintain control and respond well under pressure and in crises; must be able to handle confidential matters; must be able to work well with diverse audiences; and must be able to manage a heavy workload and meet deadlines.
Candidates also should be able to demonstrate: ability to work quickly to process large volumes of information and conduct research while maintaining high journalistic standards of accuracy and integrity; good trouble-shooting capability.
A bachelor's degree or higher is required.
Thorough understanding and knowledge of print, broadcast and digital media, including social media.
Familiarity with AP Style.
The ability to work in both Macintosh and PC environments.
Finalist will be required to pass a background check.
Experience in higher education is a plus.
Familiarity with Princeton University is a plus.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.