Director, Enterprise Data Services
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date November 2, 2017
Position Title Director, Enterprise Data Services
Vacancy # V-1172
Department Information Technology
Division Information Technology
The Director, Enterprise Data Services will manage a team of Database Administrators and Report Developers responsible for the planning, design, implementation and ongoing support for the University's enterprise data resources. He/she will serve as the University's main point of contact for data and reporting requirements.
Leadership/Business Analysis/Stakeholder Management
- Lead and manage Database Administrator and Report Developer teams. Set team goals and objectives. Assess and drive performance against defined goals and objectives.
- Provide business analysis services to University key stakeholders demonstrating a knowledge of higher education business processes and data.
- Leverage business process and data knowledge to match requirements to appropriate solutions
- Document requirements, design and data/metadata definitions
- Formulate, implement, and enforce proper data policies and procedures
- Manages software selection process and vendor contracts
- Provides leadership and guidance in the development of data schemas to support University Analytics
- Co-ordinate and manage updates and patches to keep reporting and database platforms current.
- Contribute to development of end-user training materials. Conduct training sessions as necessary.
- Ensure proper configuration of production and non-production environments.
- Understands and enforces appropriate security, privacy and compliance laws/standards
- Establish rules and procedures for data sharing with upper management and internal/external stakeholders
- Perform and document procedures for data cleaning, standardization and performance monitoring
- Performance tune existing databases
- Provide on-going production support environments
- Develop and manage reporting standards based on best practices while conforming to existing internal security guidelines.
- Complete analysis, design, development, testing and implementation of reporting and analytic needs across the campus using Cognos (Version 10.2.1), Ellucian Student Retention Planning (SRP), Ellucian Admissions data.
- Deliver University Analytics requirements by designing solutions aligned with business process and data needs.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution or equivalent industry experience.
- 2 years of experience managing developers/database administrators
- At least 4 years of experience working with users in requirements gathering, developing and implementing reports and developing documentation in a higher education environment
- Strong analytical, conceptual and problem solving skills
- Solid understanding of database and Data Warehouse concepts
- Experience working with Oracle and SQL server databases
- Certifications related to Cognos.
- Experience with Ellucian Banner, Banner ODS, Workday and/or PeopleSoft
- Experience with metadata management tool, preferably Data Cookbook
- Proficiency with Cognos product suite
- Significant working knowledge writing complex SQL, PL/SQL queries
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION