Course Lead, Science
Course Lead, Science
WORK FROM HOME, United States
***Open to current WGU employees only.***
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- The Evaluation Course Lead is a member of WGU’s faculty. The Evaluation Course Lead is a subject-matter expert and professional individual contributor with senior level knowledge within associated specialization/discipline along with an advanced level of education, experience and skill set.
- The Evaluation Course Leads apply their own subject matter expertise and experience utilizing a rubric created by program and assessment development faculty and applied consistent with WGU, Evaluation Department and team policies and procedures.
- The Evaluation Course Lead crafts personalized, robust feedback to support accurate scoring of student responses and in furtherance of student progress. Quality of feedback is exemplary.
- The Evaluation Course Lead frequently evaluates at least half time to observe student responses and assess evaluations of team members. Uses insights to provide guidance to other evaluation faculty members.
- The Evaluation Course Lead may occasionally influence program development, course mentoring and university leadership.
- The Evaluation Course Lead responds promptly to student and evaluation faculty concerns (4 hours goal, 24 hours max during work sessions.)
- The Evaluation Course Lead helps define and develop specific work plans and schedules to provide accurate and fair evaluations, with helpful (robust & personalized) feedback within our service level agreements to students.
- The Evaluation Course Leads establish coverage within and between teams to meet the department’s commitment to students for a quick evaluation within 72 hours and averaging 40 hours. The Evaluation Course Lead analyzes workflow and optimizes team resources.
- The Evaluation Course Lead may help develop functional and organizational content, practices and objectives to achieve goals in creative and effective ways.
- The Evaluation Course Lead may help determine calibration standards for courses, develops supporting training, and tools (such as course resource documents, team and evaluator training, I-RA activities).
- The Evaluation Course Lead may apply analytical tools and data analysis to drive improvements in evaluation team performance. Appropriately protects sensitive information on evaluator performance.
- The Evaluation Course Lead works with other functions within the Evaluation Department and/or with other departments. May be called upon for additional duties as assigned.
- The Evaluation Course Lead acts as a coach/mentor within the team and the Evaluation faculty service line. The Evaluation Course Leads are the Evaluation Department subject matter expert for the courses they support.
- The Evaluation Course Lead’s work is significantly complex, requiring analysis and evaluation of student responses to assessment task prompts to achieve a secure, valid and reliable determination of competency for degree programs. The primary source of guidance to colleagues and team leadership on difficult cases. Evidences impeccable judgment in evaluating significantly complex student submissions or addressing student issues.
- The Evaluation Course Lead uses their judgement to apply university, department and team policies and procedures in scoring work and crafting helpful, robust and personalized feedback to support students in developing competency and progressing with their degree program.
- The Evaluation Course Lead exercises considerable judgment in serving student success.
- The Evaluation Course Lead directs efforts to create and implement methods to improve student success and evaluation processes.
Impact to WGU:
- The Evaluation Course Lead’s work is critical to each student’s experience and success at WGU. The Evaluation Course Lead directs work efforts of a content-specific team, to meet individual, team and department objectives to be accurate, fair, helpful and quick in an environment that is a great place to work.
- The Evaluation Course Lead works effectively and reports worktime accurately, in order to be good stewards of the student’s tuition dollars.
- The Evaluation Course Leads deal directly with student concerns about evaluation quality and accuracy. They maybe called on to resolve differences in judgement between evaluation faculty and other university departments, and take action on ideas to improve student success in the demonstration of competence for the relevant courses.
- With general direction from a manager or supervisor, Evaluation Course Leads are self-managed, taking initiative and acting independently in completing performance assessment evaluations consistent with standard practices and policies and our commitment to students (i.e., accurate, fair, helpful & quick).
- When faced with an unexpected student response, Evaluation Course Leads are encouraged and expected to collaborate with other evaluators, course leads and management as needed to make a fair determination of competency.
- The Evaluation Course Lead are able to clearly articulate reason for judgments on defined policies and procedures. To be successful, Evaluation Course Leads must be well connected and coordinated within their team, project teams and any applicable cross-functional groups.
- Minimum earned Masters Degree in a field related to Science Education, Doctorate degree preferred.
- Experience as evaluator required.
- Minimum of 3 years of work as teacher in K-12 setting preferred.
WORK FROM HOME, United States