Laboratory & Rseearch Technician
Virginia Institute of Marine Science invites qualified applicants to apply for the Hourly Laboratory & Research Technician position located in Gloucester Point, VA.
The hourly Laboratory & Research position in the Biological Sciences department provides technical assistance to the VIMS Ecosystem Services laboratory on projects related to integrated assessment of ecosystem services.
Core responsibilities include:
- Processes macrofauna and oyster samples from the oyster reef ecosystem.
- Enters, curates and manages data for the oyster reef projects.
High School Diploma or equivalent
- Basic knowledge of scientific and technical principles.
- Knowledge of (or willingness to learn) marine invertebrate taxonomy.
- Knowledge of research and testing procedures and techniques.
- Demonstrated skills in microscopy with the ability to process and record data.
- Proficiency in a variety of software applications to include MS Office and ideally other data base systems. Strong data management skills.
- Effective interpersonal and oral and written communication skills with the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects concurrently.
- Experience performing data collection.
- Experience in microscopy.
- Experience assisting with lab research or participating in field work.
- Specific knowledge of invertebrate taxonomy in the Chesapeake Bay is highly preferred.
- Strong skills in data collection.
The College of William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.