The Virginia Institute of Marine Science is seeking qualified applicants for the Laboratory Specialist position in Biological Sciences Dept, located in Gloucester Point, VA.
The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in marine research, with the demonstrated skills in analyzing data and statistical modeling. Additionally, the successful incumbent will possess strong interpersonal skills with the demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively and work cohesively as a strong team player.
The Laboratory & Research Specialist will assist in the execution and management of ecological experiments.
- Assist, organize, and perform field and lab data collection in intertidal wetlands. Perform sample processing. Collections include benthic invertebrates, fishes, phytoplankton, emergent vegetation, soil, and physical (e.g. temperature) samples.
- Leads and assists team in documenting, labeling, and storing samples; enters data into databases with appropriate QA/QC
- Assist in data analysis and produce data for manuscripts.
High School diploma or equivalent, with previous field and lab experience.
- Strong interest in conducting biological and/or marine research.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety protocols and experimental procedures with the ability to adhere to detailed experimental protocols.
- Knowledge of lab and field sampling data collection, with ability to lead field and lab processing.
- Basic computer proficiency, with the ability to use a variety of software and database systems, with ability to perform data entry.
- Microscopy skills, including marine invertebrate/fish taxonomy with ability to use dichotomous keys.
- Strong attention to detail, with the ability to work independently and use sound judgement in performing responsibilities.
- Effective oral and written communication skills with the ability to work as a cohesive team member.
- Ability to successfully perform responsibilities aboard small vessels, in the water, and on uneven terrain in all weather conditions.
- Prior experience in biological, chemical, and physical collections and performing sample processing.
- Experience working in field or in lab operations.
Bachelor’s degree in biology/marine or related field or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Data analysis skills with the ability to generate data using statistical methods.
- Demonstrated skills in database management.
- Experience documenting, labeling, and storing samples is highly preferred.
- Experience with database management is desirable.
- Experience using statistical models to analyze data is a plus.
- Experience supervising/leading a team in the field.
- Experience managing/organizing a laboratory.
The College of William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.