Workforce Development Manager
Workforce Development Manager
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09355
Location: Portland Metropolitan Workforce Training Center
Address: 5600 NE 42nd, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Management; Level K; Full-time; Exempt
Starting Salary Range: Minimum $66,472 to range mid-point of $81,428. Placement generally will not exceed the mid-point, based on qualifications, experience and internal equity. (Full Range is $66,472 to $96,383)
Job Close Date: For best consideration, apply by 03/27/2018
Under the direction of the Director of Workforce Development (Portland Metropolitan Workforce Training Center) the Manager is responsible for development, implementation, operation, and evaluation of education, vocational training and work readiness activities through the Portland Metropolitan Workforce Training Center programs (as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Able-bodied Adults Without Dependents (ABAWD)). The Manager will work closely in partnership with Department of Human Services. Incumbent is responsible for the development of program services, which includes a comprehensive business services strategy, assessment, instruction, job related activities as life skills, soft skills, placement, job retention and evaluation. Hires, trains and supervises Academic Professionals and classified staff. Incumbent is the key management staff for PCC for the program they represent.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Long-term Disability, Long-term Care, and Auto and Home Insurance programs.
PCC currently fully funds the Oregon Public Employers Retirement System (PERS) pension and contributes an additional 6% into the employee's Individual Account Program under PERS. PCC also provides a 2% contribution to a 403(b) account for eligible management personnel. PCC offers a tax deferred annuity program and a deferred compensation program where employees may save additional pre-tax dollars for retirement.
14.67 hours of Vacation leave per month
1 day of Sick Leave per month
3 additional Personal Leave days per year
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age, as well as tuition reimbursement for full-time employees at other accredited institutions.
Typical Job Duties and Responsibilities
1. Plans, develops, implements, and evaluates workforce development programs for employers and individuals seeking employment, education and training services through the PCC Portland Metropolitan Workforce Training Center. This will include providing education, vocational training, work readiness activities, and business services strategies. Oversee development of assessment methods, curriculum, competencies for completion, and program evaluation methods.
2. Oversees the day-to-day operation of services for Metropolitan Workforce Training Center programs such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Able-bodied Adults Without Dependents (ABAWD). Represents PCC and its partner agencies to the community, business and industry and the media.
3. Provide leadership to staff, college departments, employers, workforce development agencies, government agencies, and community-based organizations in the development of program services to best serve job seekers and employers of Portland Metropolitan Workforce Training Center
4. Supervises Academic Professionals and classified employees. Hires, evaluates, and trains personnel. Provides the overall direction for the work of the staff in Portland Metropolitan Workforce Training Center
5. Establish goals and strategic plans. Work directly with business, faculty, staff and partners to implement short and long-term goals. Schedule and assign classes to serve the needs of students, partners and the community. Develop and manage appropriate evaluation and reporting processes to determine program success and effectiveness.
6. Develop and implement the marketing of programs and activities of Portland Metropolitan Workforce Training Center. Promote the programs by serving on task forces and committees within the College and the community.
7. Maintain and build relationships with business and industry, governmental agencies, community organizations and Workforce Development partners to ensure quality and relevance to programs.
8. Manage the program budget including developing budget proposals, justifying expenses, and monitoring expenditures.
9. Perform other related duties as assigned.
To be considered for this position, your application materials must show how you meet the following requirements:
Note: Experience requirements use full-time equivalent
Bachelor's degree in Education, a Career and Technical Education, Adult Education, Social Science, Education Administration, Educational Leadership, Counseling, Rehabilitation, Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field (relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis).
Three years progressively responsible experience related to area of assignment, including two years of supervisory experience.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
-Grant management principles and practices;
-Advanced principles and practices in assigned programmatic area;
-Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes;
-Public relations principles;
-Budget administration principles;
-Grant and/or contract administration principles;
-Analytical methods and techniques;
-Needs assessment methods;
-Fiscal accounting principles;
-Strategic planning principles;
-Program/project management principles and techniques.
Demonstrated Skill in:
-Supervising subordinate staff;
-Interpreting and applying applicable laws, rules, and regulations;
-Analyzing problems, identifying alternative solutions, projecting consequences of proposed actions, and making recommendations in support of goals;
-Preparing and administering budgets;
-Managing, marketing, and promoting programs;
-Planning and implementing program components;
-Compiling and analyzing data;
-Conducting needs analysis;
-Preparing, managing, and administering grants and/or contracts;
-Speaking in public;
-Conducting outreach activities;
-Preparing collateral and marketing materials;
-Developing strategic plans;
-Interpreting complex documents;
-Analyzing the applicability and/or value of the implementation of emerging trends and/or services;
-Assessing the consequences and outcomes of program initiatives;
-Ensuring compliance with applicable internal and external program requirements;
-Monitoring legal and regulatory changes;
-Analyzing processes and making recommendations for improvement;
-Researching, analyzing, and applying relevant information to the development of departmental processes and programs;
-Coordinating activities with other internal departments and/or external agencies;
-Preparing a variety of reports related to operational activities, including statistical analysis;
-Working with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff;
-Utilizing computer technology used for communication, data gathering and reporting;
-Communicating effectively through oral and written mediums.
These qualifications and characteristics are critical to success in this important role at PCC. Please clarify in your application materials the experiences, successes and techniques evidencing how you bring these strengths:
- Experience working with performance-based grants and contracts (including outcomes, deliverables, and timelines) with Department of Human Services programs.
- Knowledge of Workforce Development programs such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)
- Experience leading and coaching ethnically, racially, and gender diverse Workforce teams.
- Experience developing and maintaining a strong relationship with internal and external partner agencies, stakeholders and departments.
- Experience participating in or leading collaborative grants or projects.
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position, please submit:
1. Completed responses to the Required Questions from the Committee - scroll down to see "Required Question
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)* Please state how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications.
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
Applicants selected for further consideration may be asked to complete a supplemental questionnaire.
Notes to Applicant:
- Upon hire candidate will be required to provide official transcripts for all degrees earned.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.