Caterpillar Dealer Service Technology Instructor
Caterpillar Dealer Service Technology Instructor
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09339
Location: Rock Creek Campus
Address: 17705 NW Springville Road, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: Varies
Position Status: Full-time Faculty, 1.0 FTE, Exempt
Starting Salary Range: Starting Salary: $52,020 to $55,728 (Step 3); based on qualifications, experience, and internal equity. Full 2017/18 Faculty Salary Range is $52,020 to $90,205.
Job Close Date: Apply by March 7, 2018 for best consideration
Are you ready to impact the lives of students? Portland Community College is looking for a Caterpillar ThinkBIG / Dealer Service Technology Instructor at the Rock Creek Campus.
This position will start Fall term 2018 and is eligible for Continuous Appointment upon third year review.
PCC's ThinkBIG Northwest: Caterpillar Dealer Service Technician Program is unique, is nationally recognized, and is high on Caterpillar's list of partner programs. PCC's ThinkBIG students have won at state and national Skills USA competitions, and our graduates go on to successful careers as qualified Caterpillar service technicians. The level of respect our program enjoys from Caterpillar results in our well-resourced, state of the art tools and facility for teaching and learning, and significant opportunities for faculty and staff to participate in training and professional development.
PCC's ThinkBIG Dealer Service program is led by a supportive and proactive program team. As a ThinkBIG instructor, you will enjoy the fulfilling impact of training new technicians, as well as the challenges and excitement of helping move an already top program forward. The new instructor must bring solid technical skill and experience with Caterpillar products, a strong proficiency with using (and explaining) computer diagnostics, and a commitment to success for all of our students.
During the 24 month ThinkBIG Dealer Service program, students will learn about engine fundamentals, machine hydraulics, fuel systems, electrical systems, transmissions and torque converters, undercarriage, final drives and more. During the paid on-the-job/internships at the sponsoring Caterpillar dealership, students will have the opportunity to experience future careers firsthand through on-the-job training. On completion of the program, students will earn an Associated Degree of Applied Science from Portland Community College.
If this sounds like a community you would like to be a part of, and an important role that you would like to play for PCC, please review the minimum and preferred qualifications listed below, and apply today! Please be sure to tell us how you meet each of these qualifications so that we can get to know you and what you can bring to Portland Community College.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefits package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options; including Health, Dental and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance, Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
- 1 day of sick leave for every 18 days worked (~10 days/year)
- 21 hours of additional personal leave per year
- 4 paid holidays (which occur during the term you are teaching)
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age; plus tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
For a complete list of PCC benefits, please visit http://www.pcc.edu/hr.benefits
Application Review Process:
1) Once the "deadline or best consideration date" has passed, an initial screening will be conducted.
2) If you are selected by the committee for further consideration you may be contacted by email and asked to submit written responses to a set of essay questions. You may have as little as one week to provide the required information.
3) Upon hire the selected candidate will be required to supply OFFICIAL copies of transcripts for all degrees earned with 2 weeks of offer acceptance.
4) Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
PCC Faculty Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Instruct students using approved course outcome guides developed by college-wide subject area Faculty; assess student performance in these courses.
- Attend and participate in college-wide, campus/center division, department, and program meetings and activities.
- Serve on Subject Area Curriculum Committees and/or such other College committees as may be assigned.
- Assist in the recruitment of students.
- Provide registration, advising, and guidance assistance to students.
- Provide professional assistance to staff and students.
- Provide information and assistance on College operations as may be requested.
- Compile and/or research data as may be assigned.
- Provide services to students in a manner which does not discriminate as to race, creed, religion, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual preference or marital status.
- Remain current in the field through a variety of professional development activities.
- Maintain College safety standards in their work areas; ensure that students are trained in good safety practices; and make reasonable efforts to ensure that students follow good safety practices.
- Comply with published College Policies and Procedures.
- Perform other related duties as provided in Faculty Agreement.
To be considered for this position, your application materials must show how you meet the following requirements:
- Caterpillar Specific certification in all areas of instruction is required within the first year of hire for full time faculty.
- Five (5) years recent diesel service experience. (Recent experience teaching at the college level or industry trainer experience or a combination of full-time equivalent teaching at the college level and industry trainer experience may be substituted, year for year, for recent diesel service experience.)
These qualifications and characteristics are critical to success in this important role at PCC. Please clarify in your application materials the experiences, successes and techniques evidencing how you bring these strengths:
- AAS or Bachelors Degree (or higher) in diesel service or a field appropriate to diesel service
- Recent technical experience with Caterpillar products
- Demonstrated customer service orientation, including the ability to effectively communicate technical information to customers
- Cutting-edge industry technology knowledge, including proficiency with computer diagnostics, and capacity to embrace new technology
- Experience leading in a teaching or training environment, ensuring that the intended learning is occurring
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of a strong team
- Experience working with industry groups, as a liaison or building partnerships
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position please provide the following:
1) Completed online application
Be sure to indicate clearly how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications in the employment history to ensure this experience is taken into consideration.
2) Cover Letter (*Attach)
In 1-2 pages, state specifically how you meet each of the qualifications for the position (minimum and preferred qualifications).
3) Current Resume/Vita (*Attach)
4) Unofficial Transcripts for each of your degrees (Includes current PCC employees) (*Attach)
Transcripts need to include the Title of the degree earned and the Date that the degree was conferred and the Name of the Institution.
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
Note to Applicants:
- All transcripts from institutions outside of the U.S. are required to include an evaluation by a U.S. credential evaluation agency (copy and paste the link http://www.pcc.edu/hr/employment/faculty-information.html into another browser window for specific instructions).
- Applicants Anticipating Degree Completion by September 1, 2018 must supply a letter from his/her university stating the degree title and that the degree will be granted by that date.
- Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
- As an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.