Community Service Officer I - Patrol Full Time (March 2018)
Schedule Information: As Assigned.
Hours Per Week: 40 hours Includes weekends, holidays. Shift Differential pay may apply
Benefits: Health, Dental, Life & Disability Insurance; Sick, Vacation, and Holiday pay; Personal Business; Educational Assistance: Tuition Waivers at Harper & Professional Expense
Work Conditions: Indoor / Outdoor
Duties of Position:CSO 1-Patrol duties include patrolling college properties, performing designated security, parking enforcement activities and various administrative functions, thereby assisting the campus community, the general public and the Harper College Police Department. CSO 1-Patrol promotes and maintains favorable college-community relations. CSO 1-Patrol is responsible for the day-to-day safety and security of college property. They open and close facilities as requested. They conduct crime prevention spot checks of college assets. They enforce parking regulations. They resolve a multitude of issues that do not require the services of a police officer. In accomplishing these duties the CSO 1-Patrol may:
- Enforcing parking and permit regulations.
- Perform escort services.
- Lock/unlock college buildings/facilities.
- Provide jump starts for stalled vehicles.
- Observe and report suspicious activity, hazardous conditions and/or actual criminal violations.
- Provide security services for campus organizations and functions.
- Give directions and other types of aid to the campus community.
- Perform various enforcement, administrative, security and investigative functions as directed.
- Reports any building problems, such as broken doors, locks, windows, vending machines, leaking roofs and pipes and building heating/cooling problems.
- Inspects college property and observes college activities for unsafe conditions which may lead to injury, takes appropriate action to correct any unsafe practice or condition and reports all other safety hazards to a supervisor.
- Assists students, faculty, staff and visitors with directions, vehicle problems, medical problems and provides other information and assistance as necessary.
- Directs traffic and pedestrian flow as required.
- Assists the campus police officers as directed.
- Relieves CSO 1- Dispatcher as required.
- Performs other relevant duties as assigned
- The CSO I–Patrol is directly supervised by the shift’s Team Leader or Officer In Charge (OIC), Deputy Chief of Police and Chief of Police, Harper College Police Department.
- High School Graduate required or equivalent education and experience. Associates degree preferred.
- Be at least eighteen years of age.
- Valid Illinois Driver’s license with good driving record.
- Excellent communicative skills (English) – both spoken and written.
- Successfully complete a medical examination.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Successfully complete a background investigation, polygraph and psychological examinations.
- Successfully complete the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board (ILETSB) P.O.W.E.R. test.
- Successfully complete the International Protection Officer Foundation (IPOF) Basic Protection Officer course or equivalent training within six months of employment.
- Successfully complete the Harper College Police Department Field Training Program within six months of employment.
- First Aid certification within six months of employment.
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification within six months of employment.
- Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) certification within six months of employment.
- Blood Borne Pathogens training within six months of employment.
- Hazardous Materials-First Responder training within six months of employment.
Annual proficiency requirements:
- First Aid.
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
- Automatic External Defibrillator (AED).
- Blood Borne Pathogens.
- Hazardous Materials-First Responder.
- Medical examination.
- P.O.W.E.R. test.
Application Review Date: Applications are accepted until the position is filled though priority will be given to applications received on or before: March 26, 2018
Required Documents: ***A resume and cover letter are required to complete the application process***
* Official transcripts required upon hire
* Employment is contingent upon Criminal Background Check.
* Employment sponsorship is not available.